Hazardous chemical cloud at Disneyland injures employees

Originally published at: Hazardous chemical cloud at Disneyland injures employees - Boing Boing

4 Likes

The other cleaning chemical contained ammonia, didn’t it?

14 Likes

vapor action GIF

9 Likes

I’d bet money on it. Or vinegar. I accidentally did that once. Luckily it was a very small amount of bleach, but wow. I’ll never make that mistake again.

10 Likes

On a similar tangent, DO. NOT. store pool sanitizer and muratic acid (“PH Down” or similar) in the same storage bunker, unless you like huffing chlorine gas directly…

Learned that lesson the hard way; fortunately, I wasn’t injured, but a hand tool that was in the same bunker was rusted to the point of ruin.

(by ‘storage bunker’, meaning one of those outdoor ‘bench storage’ boxes that are used to hold stuff like chair cushions or tools out of sight and being useful when closed.)

8 Likes

Yes, bleach + any acid (in sufficient quantity) = chlorine gas.

8 Likes

Happiest place on Earth, huh?
Homer run away

4 Likes

Mention of the hand tool reminds me when I applied Blue Seal membrane to my foundation. I left a stainless steel spatula in the bucket for a few weeks (lid closed). When I opened it, the metal was almost a completely dissolved black crumble and it smelled horrible.

I was very careful to read the product label before using, it didn’t mention anything about prolonged contact with metal working tools.

Lesson learned I guess?

4 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

5 Likes

Back in my misspent youth, I spent quite a few summers lifeguarding. One of our duties was to maintain the chlorination system, which involved changing out fairly large tanks of chlorine gas. One of my coworkers was doing so and bumped the key on top. Face full of chlorine. He did shut it off before evacuating, but he was not well for several days after.

4 Likes

“Hazardous chemical cloud” sounds like some full-on industrial accident, rather than what seems to have happened, which is someone using/spilling two different cleaning supplies in the same place (which could - and does - happen at home, too).

I look forward to reading other breaking news dispatches of banal household-level accidents occurring at Disneyland. (“Man burns roof of mouth on overly-hot toasted cheese sandwich - at Disneyland!”)

5 Likes

right?!
here i am thinking, " what has MoRon done now? does he think he can fumigate Mickey Mouse?" seems about his speed.
/s (but really?)

1 Like

… wrong state, but you probably knew that already. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.