HBO developing another "Game of Thrones" spinoff, this time about Jon Snow

Character development was always better in the books, so it is indeed possible. I know that the end point is the same, but I’m guessing that they really flatted a lot of what he plans to do. For one, there is yet another Targaryen in the books, Jon Snow has not yet been resurrected, and Dany was just captured by the other Khal… There is a lot of plot to go in the books and a good deal of difference between the two. And a book has far more space to develop characters and motives.

3 Likes

Either way, her fate in the TV show didn’t feel like a natural outgrowth of any character arc the audience had been made privy to.

3 Likes

Well, see, she has to find somewhere that all her faceless man training won’t be a waste of time.

2 Likes

Assassinating the entire House Frey was a pretty decent payoff for that training even if it was a bit fan-servicey and ripped off the final scene from Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus.

2 Likes

I suspect the book ending will be far more satisfying in that regard. If there is anything that GRRM excelled at in the books it was character development. That and travel scenes… so many travel scenes… That for me was the biggest disappointment between books and show. The show often cut way down on exploring the landscape and its effect on the characters, which only aided character development. The places in the book were nearly themselves characters. You could easily see how the places and institutions set in both westeros and essos shaped the people there, and how so many people were constantly railing against the limitations put on them by those places/institutions. I think they did less of that in the show though it was more there in the first few seasons. They lost that once the book material dried up and it came all about psychological factors rather than institutional/environmental factors.

Great writers steal. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

6k7az1

6 Likes

I half expected some kind of reveal after she ran out of targets on her list that, you know, “There is no Arya,” the Many-Faced God can look like anybody and its priests are entirely fungible

Extra points if she “died,” then showed up again

4 Likes

Can we have a show about the actual John Snow, who showed that cholera was spread by contaminated water?

1 Like

It could be presented by Jon Snow

2 Likes

Wouldn’t work. That John Snow knows something.

3 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 1.03.31 PM

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.