"Heal Hitler" is a new video game where you try to stop genocide with psychotherapy

Originally published at: "Heal Hitler" is a new video game where you try to stop genocide with psychotherapy | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Thanks, I hate it, and oh boy this thread is gonna dumpster fire real soon.

37 Likes

Old anti-Nazi joke
Hitlerzeit. Parteigenosse Müller erblickt auf der Straße seinen Bekannten Kohn und sagt neckend: »Heil Hitlerl« Kohn: »Bin ich Psychiater?«

6 Likes

(The joke being that in German “heal!” (imperative) and “Hail” are the same, »Heil«.)

6 Likes

Has the Campaign for Real Time weighed in on this yet?

8 Likes

Factually inaccurate as well. Saying that Hitler was responsible for 6 million deaths misses the fact that the Nazis triggered a seven year war that killed and maimed millions more.

As much as we can wish Hitler away, he didn’t invent anti-Semitism and simply capitalized on prevailing conditions to consolidate power. Sound familiar?

Can’t wait for the follow ups, Heal Pinochet, Heal Stalin, Heal Karadic, Heal Pol Pot…

17 Likes

It’s my belief that when presented with an opportunity to kill Hitler, you should always kill Hitler.

But in the interest of being a responsible citizen, you better make it your business to also kill Stalin.

Obviously.

18 Likes

Godwinned at birth. Nothing more to say, really.

7 Likes

See, it fits nicely right there.

PunchingNazi

13 Likes

Given that searching for the developer’s name doesn’t lead to a 100+ phone book and address lookup spam results on Google, I’m going to say this guy is hiding behind a pseudonym.

If I were making Hitler-sympathetic games, I’d probably do the same thing.

4 Likes

He was just a cutie, really. A veritable misguided puppy.

Heel, Hitler. Heel! Who’s a good boy!

12 Likes

Could I just give him a bag of primo weed?

6 Likes

Even if you ignore WW2, Hitler was responsible for 6 million Jewish deaths (The group who had the most people murdered). Once you include all the other victims (Disabled, LGBTQ+, Romani, political and religious prisoners, etc.) you get a number of between 11-17 million. You can add the people KIA to that higher number, although the 17 million figure already includes POWs.

19 Likes

“Heal Hitler” is a new video game where you try to stop genocide with psychotherapy

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

21 Likes

There may be more than one plausible explanation for this, but they all resolve to “dipshit wildly overestimates own cleverness”. And you can tell at a glance that, as a game, it’s not as exciting or fun as Microsoft Excel. So I don’t feel compelled to have a discussion about it on Reddit.

5 Likes

This would have been a great “meta-game” to reference in another work, like Seinfeld did with the coffee table book and other ideas the characters had. And leave it at that. There’s no way the game can live up to the promise of its name.

5 Likes

In the game, does the player treat all the others who participated in and otherwise helped enable the genocide?

13 Likes

I know a variation/similar joke as:

Treffen sich zwei Psychiater in der Klinik. Sagt der eine zum anderen: “Heil Hitler”. Antwortet der andere: “Heil Du ihn!”

5 Likes

Aegis, who identifies as a “centrist and a capitalist,”

That checks out: individuals are more critical than institutions to creating fascism; pay no attention to the plutocrats and conservative politicians supporting the Nazis in a foolish attempt to protect their property from the commies; we just have to extend a little understanding to hateful authoritarians (or is that “the economically anxious”?) and meet them halfway.

I eagerly await the sequel, in which you play an editor at the Frankfurter Zeitung assigning reporters to do profiles on “the Nazis next door” in order to save the Weimar Republic.

21 Likes

Not with psychology, with the particular psychology (Jung, Freud, Meth: What could go wrong?, Coke: kind of cheery; choose any three) available at the time. Thom, are you sure you were selling this hard (against!) enough? LOL

I’m in enough pain trying to hit the comedy songs on CoV-19 when https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2020.607830/full uses Google-fu on Ghanian song. [The investigators commence rubbing it in. JK.] Getting effective treatment spectra to proximal centuries’ haters is gonna start someplaces else.

Maybe the atomic balm makers will claim first radio …
I saw a neat meme of ‘collateral warfare’ today of a dog [sign: I Eat Socks.] with a cat [sign: I provide the socks.]

8 Likes