Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

16 Likes
13 Likes
8 Likes

Gotta admit, I was puzzled by this one, as these are not known side effects of Ozempic-type drugs. The fact that these can cause weight loss fast enough that other meds become toxic was not my first thought, but there you go. Dosing on a mcg/kg basis becomes tricky when the ā€œ/kgā€ part becomes a rapidly moving target. Nothing bad about the med, just a thing to be aware of if you are taking any of these sorts of things.

13 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/08/science/engineered-virus-steals-proteins-from-hiv.html

6 Likes

Providence knew about the problem, switched their anesthesia provider because of it, and failed to notify the state medical board. As a result, this same doc got a job at Legacy and continued his risky practice, exposing even more patients.

Providence claims they couldnā€™t report it because of employee privacy, but everyone knows itā€™s bullshit. Now they wonā€™t make any statements at all because they are being sued by Legacy and dozens of patients.

At least, thatā€™s the scuttlebutt in the area healthcare community.

11 Likes

As well they fucking should be!

10 Likes

Ingestion of the Non-Nutritive Sweetener Erythritol, but Not Glucose, Enhances Platelet Reactivity and Thrombosis Potential in Healthy Volunteers | Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology (ahajournals.org)

CONCLUSIONS:
Ingestion of a typical quantity of the non-nutritive sweetener erythritol, but not glucose, enhances platelet reactivity in healthy volunteers, raising concerns that erythritol consumption may enhance thrombosis potential. Combined with recent large-scale clinical observational studies and mechanistic cell-based and animal model studies, the present findings suggest that discussion of whether erythritol should be reevaluated as a food additive with the Generally Recognized as Safe designation is warranted.

Xylitol is prothrombotic and associated with cardiovascular risk | European Heart Journal | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

Conclusions
Xylitol is associated with incident MACE risk. Moreover, xylitol both enhanced platelet reactivity and thrombosis potential in vivo. Further studies examining the cardiovascular safety of xylitol are warranted.

Both of these are not necessarily conclusive, but certainly support the idea that nonnutritive additives to highly processed foods are probably not good for us, and make our metabolic pathways confused and misfire. If you have anything increasing your risk of thrombotic events, you may want to watch out for these ingredients.

14 Likes

Thatā€™s just the thing, isnā€™t it. All this stuff is still way too new for our bodies after being fine-tuned over generations and generations to make the most out of the stuff that grows around us where we live.
At best itā€™s ā€œWhat is this? What am I supposed to do with this? I know - Iā€™ll just turn it into fat and store it. You can always fall back on fat when things turn lean.ā€

12 Likes

Exactly. And ā€œat bestā€ seems to be not the most common outcome. Best to avoid the stuff that is ā€œbetter living through chemistry.ā€

13 Likes

This stuff reminds me I really need to break my Diet Pepsi addiction. Iā€™ve tried so many times and every time I justā€¦ forget to drink. Iā€™m not sure why, but I canā€™t drink water unless Iā€™m really thirsty. Not sure if itā€™s my neurodivergence or something, but I find it mildly revolting otherwise.

On the other hand, Iā€™ve quit a bunch of way more harmful things like cigarettes and drinking an entire bottle of bourbon a day, so I guess I shouldnā€™t be too hard on myself. But I do need to figure something out because Iā€™d really like to not have that dependence in order to keep myself properly hydrated.

14 Likes

Water is just so boring.

8 Likes

My elderly mother drinks diet pepsi literally all day long. It is a habit that seems to comfort her, like a pacifier. She canā€™t stop. Her blood sodium levels are consistantly so low that eventually this will kill her.

9 Likes

Interesting. Xylitol is often the sweetener of choice in Europe instead of all the U.S.-favored ones. Usually, that means it would be safer.

11 Likes

FDA Approves First Nasal Spray for Treatment of Anaphylaxis | FDA

ā€œTodayā€™s approval provides the first epinephrine product for the treatment of anaphylaxis that is not administered by injection. Anaphylaxis is life-threatening and some people, particularly children, may delay or avoid treatment due to fear of injections,ā€ said Kelly Stone, MD, PhD, Associate Director of the Division of Pulmonology, Allergy and Critical Care in the FDAā€™s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. ā€œThe availability of epinephrine nasal spray may reduce barriers to rapid treatment of anaphylaxis. As a result, neffy provides an important treatment option and addresses an unmet need.ā€

Epi is not a complicated drug, and there is no reason to think this will not work fine. That said, I will withhold endorsement until I see how it does in the wild. But for severe needle-phobes, this could be a God-send.

11 Likes

#NeurodivergenceRepresent

I canā€™t stand the taste of water, unless thereā€™s some sensory distraction (sparkles, or a little twist of lemon can be enough), or if Iā€™m so thirsty that I donā€™t even taste it.

My hydration of choice, if I canā€™t be bothered making tea or coffee, is milk.

8 Likes
12 Likes

Whereas Iā€™m the opposite: putting something into pure water, like bubbles or flavoring, makes me say ā€˜no thank youā€™ even if Iā€™m thirsty.

8 Likes

Same here. Just water, thanks!

Other than coffee and an occasional scotch.

8 Likes

My wife and i are polar opposites here. I live on water staight from the tap. We have amazing well water here. She canā€™t do it without some kind of flavoring in it. Sheā€™s been trying to do better, but it is a really deeply seated thing for her.

9 Likes