Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

Seems a lot of discussion of various healthcare related info and disinfo scattered around the threads. I will try to bring it together as see what happens.

10 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/fda-approves-postpartum-depression-pill-102033897

The new pill is from Sage Therapeutics, which has a similar infused drug that’s given intravenously over three days in a medical facility. The FDA approved that drug in 2019, though it isn’t widely used because of its $34,000 price tag and the logistics of administering it.

This is both encouraging, PPD is a huge issue, and infuriating because it has taken sooooo long to address a common and severe condition. One might speculate that this could possibly be due to the fact that it is a condition that the male of the specieis never has to worry about? One might, yes, one might.

Both the pill and IV forms mimic a derivative of progesterone, the naturally occurring female hormone needed to maintain a pregnancy. Levels of the hormone can plunge after childbirth.

This is probably the take home. Conventional antidepressants take up to 6 weeks to take effect. And this is specific to post-partum depression, not something that can be generalized to treat other forms of depression. No mention of the price, I suspect it will be outrageous. Have I mentioned lately that profit motive has no place in healthcare? Because it really does not.

12 Likes

Not everything AI is for shit. This is pretty exciting.

12 Likes

ETA: Doc, I am not sure I am doing this correctly (in this thread). I know you started this to combat disinformation… maybe I am derailing with this promising potential PD detection procedure?

12 Likes

Nope, PSAs are very welcome. BSAs are, sadly, necessary.

5 Likes

The findings of this study support previous research showing an association between screen time among young children and subsequent developmental outcomes.7-18 These results also suggest that there was a dose-response association between longer screen time at age 1 year and developmental delays in communication and problem-solving at ages 2 and 4 years. In particular, more than 4 hours of screen time per day was associated with developmental delays in communication and problem-solving across ages 2 and 4 years.

There is a lot of research in this area, and it is pretty uniform in the outcomes. More screen time is bad for developing brains. Let kids explore, romp and play. Turn off the tech.

8 Likes

Progress of sorts:

6 Likes

Could you clue me in what BSA stands for? I swear I tried looking it up but none of the many possibilities seemed to fit the theme of this thread :grimacing:

10 Likes

I would guess “bullshit advisory”.

6 Likes

Thank you that fits, and it explains why I couldn’t find it on any official list of abbreviations!

5 Likes

Exactly. Playing off PSA. It’s a legit acronym. I just made it up, but everything has start somewhere, right? :grinning:

8 Likes

I think I’ve heard this song before…

6 Likes

Wow, contamination and illegally marketed nice combo there.

5 Likes

I knew this sounded familiar

A previous outbreak of contaminated eye drops was linked to at least four deaths and 14 people going blind, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. An additional 4 people eyeballs surgically removed.

Yeah, not to be fucked around with. Eyes are pretty important, and easily damaged.

5 Likes

Get your shots, folks. This is not a drill.

10 Likes

They’re talking about once a year for COVID. Is that reasonable with he way immunity fades or are they just trying to prevent fatigue in the pubkic

6 Likes

Tough to answer that. I guess we will have to see how it plays out? But I have to imagine fatigue plays a role in this decision.

6 Likes

And, in the BSA department,

The plant contains the poison thujune, a neurotoxin that causes convulsions. It’s most famous for being a toxic agent in absinthe. But homeopaths believe Thuja Occidentalis tinctures treat warts, among other things.

No, no it does not. Do not do this to your children.

9 Likes

This is big, and at a price that is not outrageous. I’m honestly kind of amazed.

Biotech company Emergent BioSolutions Inc. said the nasal spray has been shipped to pharmacies, drugstores and grocery stores as well as online retailers with a suggested price of $44.99 for a two-dose box.

7 Likes

Wed, Aug 30 at 11:25 AM

Karen Shelton, MD

State Health Commissioner PO BOX 2448
RICHMOND, VA 23218 TTY 7-1-1 OR
1-800-828-1120

COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Health

Virginia Department of Health Declares Statewide Outbreak of Meningococcal Disease

August 30, 2023

Dear Colleague:

The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is declaring a statewide outbreak of meningococcal disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria meningitidis serogroup Y. The sequence type associated with this outbreak was first identified in eastern Virginia in September 2022 and has since been detected in central and southwest Virginia. This letter provides an update to the most recent notice to clinicians that was issued in March 2023.

Meningococcal disease is a rare, but very serious illness. From June 2022 to August 2023, there have been 27 cases of meningococcal disease caused by Neisseria meningitidis serogroup Y reported in Virginia, with most cases (20) occurring in the eastern region. All isolates available for sequencing (22 out of 27) were found to be highly genetically related. This strain is susceptible to ciprofloxacin and penicillin, unlike other serogroup Y strains previously detected in Maryland and northern Virginia, and is known to be circulating more widely across the United States.

Five case-patients associated with this outbreak have died from complications of meningococcal disease, indicating that this strain might have a higher case fatality rate (19% CFR) than is commonly observed in serogroup Y cases (source). The majority of case-patients (18) developed septicemia, and not meningitis, with common symptoms including fever, nausea, vomiting, and muscle aches.

VDH has not yet identified a common risk factor among the cases. The majority of cases have occurred in Black or African American adults between 30-60 years of age. Twenty-six case-patients were unvaccinated for serogroup Y.

Early identification and prompt public health follow up remain key to preventing further transmission. VDH responds to reports of suspected meningococcal disease by rapidly identifying close contacts for whom short-term antibiotics are recommended for post-exposure prophylaxis. VDH is dedicated to increasing access to meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY), which provides protection against serogroup Y. In areas that have reported an outbreak-associated case, MenACWY vaccine is being made available through the local health departments for people at increased risk of meningococcal disease due to certain medical conditions and residents of localized areas with increased transmission. Additionally, VDH is offering vaccine to outbreak-associated close contacts in an effort to vaccinate individuals who may be part of an unknown social network at increased risk for meningococcal disease serogroup Y.

Please consider the following actions:

• Maintain a high index of suspicion for meningococcal disease while this outbreak continues. The majority of case-patients have presented with symptoms of septicemia; several case-patients presented with meningitis, citing neck stiffness and photophobia. A petechial rash with pink macules might also be observed. This rash may appear purple, dark brown, or black on darker skin tones.
  • Immediately notify your local health department (LHD) if meningococcal disease is suspected based on clinical findings or laboratory results of gram-negative diplococci or Neisseria meningitidis from a normally sterile site. Please coordinate with your LHD to send specimens/isolates for newly identified cases to Virginia’s state public health lab, the Department of General Services Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS), for serotyping.
  • Ensure that all patients who are at increased risk for meningococcal disease are up to date on MenACWY vaccine. People at increased risk include: people with HIV, those whose spleen is damaged or removed, people with sickle cell disease, anyone with a rare immune condition called “complement deficiency” or people taking “complement inhibitors." A MenACWY booster is recommended every five years for people with increased risk due to medical conditions.
  • Continue to encourage routine administration of MenACWY vaccine in adolescents. As a reminder, a dose of MenACWY vaccine is required for students enrolled prior to 7th and 12th grade.

Thank you for your attention and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Karen Shelton, MD

State Health Commissioner

A version of this letter is available on the VDH Resources for Health Care Professionals web page.

This service is provided to you at no charge by the Virginia Department of Health

Damnit… Another vaccine preventable disease taking lives. This is directed specifically at VA (obvs) but there is rumbling from across the country. Be aware of your vaccination status, folks.

6 Likes