Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

CME? Coronal Mass Ejection?

2 Likes

Continuing medical education. Sorry, we make everything into abbreviations. It’s a bad habit.

4 Likes

ABH, even?

1 Like

Actual bodily harm? Nah. Gross, but rarely rises to that level! :laughing:

2 Likes

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

1 Like

Can confirm; even admin staff do it. Meetings at our place can sound like an incredibly dull episode of Line of Duty. We have one manager who can converse for several minutes almost entirely in TLAs.

3 Likes

My field (computer science) is also big into TLAs (three-letter acronyms). We have gone even further, though, into ETLAs (extended TLAs), and the occasional HETLA (hyper-extended TLA).

3 Likes

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn’t we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause of the leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we’d all be put out in K.P.

2 Likes

Nozin’s maker, Maryland-based Global Life Technologies Corp., did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Ars. On its website, the company touts its product’s effectiveness with a link to a published study from 2014, indicating that use of Nozin lowered the colonization levels of S. aureus and other bacteria in the noses of 20 healthy health care workers(1). The study did not address protection from infection or carriage of any viruses. The company also lists unpublished studies(5) indicating that the product can kill bacteria in laboratory conditions(2), does not irritate skin(3), and lowered bacterial growth in the noses of 30 people over a 12-hour period(4).

Feeling compulsive today, so let’s review these in order:

(1) OK. Get back to me with viral data.
(2)

(3) It is ethyl alcohol. If you have ever snorted a shot (don’t ask) you will understand. I don’t believe this claim for a second. And even if I did, it is immaterial to the discussion of effectiveness.
(4) See #1. Bacteria are much easier to clear with surface disinfectants than viruses are.
(5) Had to come back to this one. Unpublished studies cited to support safety and efficacy are not worth the paper they are not published on. If they have to cite unpublished, unreviewable data, it means they have no actual data to cite.

In Conclusion:
Snake oil salesmen remain snake oil salesmen, regardless of how many unpublished, inapplicable, unreviewable “studies” they claim to cite.

14 Likes

A Genentech spokeswoman told ABC News in December that the FDA was expected to decide on approval in the first quarter of 2024. If approved, Xolair would be the first medicine to reduce allergic reactions to multiple foods following an accidental exposure.

Just to be clear, this does not bring peanut butter sandwiches back to the menu, but relief from the constant paranoia of incidental exposure in passing could make a lot of folks lives much better.

Of course, there is also this:

while price varies based on indication and dose, the cost is approximately $3,663 a month.

12 Likes

from

20 Likes

Oh my god it’s a pain that takes you places.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Interesting.

8 Likes

If these preliminary results bear out in clinical trials, it could be one of the cheapest and most effective weapons in our fight against dementia.

Not if GSK and Pfizer have anything to say about it!

7 Likes

“Monetizing the rot” has always been a chief pillar of capitalism, so… here we are.

I know @docosc often says that the profit motive has no place in healthcare.
I agree.

It’ll be a fine day when we (in a decentralized, verifiably safe way with standards etc.) can just 3-D print our own molecules for the vaccines and medicines we need. But that feels as far away–as Star Trek: Next Generation-like–as… this scene here:

8 Likes

With Americans’ diets more reliant than ever on processed, niacin-fortified foods, the average niacin intake in the US is now nearing what’s considered the tolerable upper limit of the nutrient, according to a federal health survey. And an extensive study recently published in Nature Medicine suggests that those excess amounts of niacin may be exacerbating cardiovascular disease, increasing risks of heart attacks, strokes, and death.

Another example of “Some is required, more must be better” being flat out wrong. Pellagra is bad, and cutting niacin out is stupid. But ingesting many times the USRDA is probably not great either. All the usual caveats, one study, surprising results, more studies needed, confounding variables difficult to account for. But generally speaking, overdoing anything is not great. This is likely more evidence for that law.

@chenille, I post this just for you!

9 Likes

Moderation in all things (including moderation…hence, Mardi Gras, etc.).

5 Likes

OK, I need to preface this with, I am not a tattoo guy myself, my kids all have them, my oldest son is a tattoo artist of some renown, but it is most definitely not for me. The tiny tattoos I have on my ass from radiation therapy are all I will ever have. That said, if you are into tattoos, be aware, it’s the wild west out there as far as what are you putting into your body.

Summary of label discrepancies categorized by type of discrepancy: major, minor, or no discrepancy (correct).

That’s a lot of red ink…

11 Likes

I have a similar family dynamic myself, right down to my radiation tattoos. Sending this article to one of my kids STAT!

ETA:

And 23 of the inks analyzed by that point showed evidence of an azo-containing dye. Such pigments are usually inert, but exposure to bacteria or UV light can cause them to degrade into a nitrogen-based compound that could potentially cause cancer.

Yikes.

9 Likes