Hear Gilbert Gottfried recite the "Litany Against Fear" from DUNE

Originally published at: Hear Gilbert Gottfried recite the "Litany Against Fear" from DUNE | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I can hear it without even checking out the link.
edit after having checked it out: yup.

11 Likes

someone from the group paid Gilbert Gottfried via cameo to recite the infamous “Litany Against Fear” of the Bene Gesserit from Dune

…did the ‘someone’ end-up paying more, or less, once Herr Professor Gottfried deviated from the litany and onto some joke set-up? (and those sure look like some flat prop eye-glasses; not bending the image at all [shrug]) Anyway, it worked, in my ugly head, i saw Iago reading it

4 Likes

That was a bizarre mashup.

5 Likes

i think hearing him do this would be worse than whatever is in the Gom Jabbar. i think i’ll opt for the Gom Jabbar.

8 Likes

That was definitely a mind killer.

10 Likes

The joke he’s telling is a famous joke generally told privately among comedians. It became highly associated with Gottfried when he told a searing version of it during the Friar’s Club roast of Hugh Hefner after being booed by the audience when leading with a 9/11 joke shortly after 9/11.

There’s a really good documentary about the joke that I’d recommend checking out: The Aristocrats (film) - Wikipedia

12 Likes

I must reread Frank Herbert, because I sure did not remember it going like that.
Does Gottfried do audio books?

5 Likes

“Remove your hand from the box, and the Reverend Mother will tell you the Aristocrats joke in Gilbert Gottfried’s voice.”

“What’s in the box?”

“Gilbert Gottfried telling the Aristocrats.”

“I long for the sweet, sweet embrace of death.”

10 Likes

Annoyance is the mind killer.

10 Likes

Fans of “Episodes” know that you’re not too far off (just substitute the bible for the Aristocrats)

4 Likes

I gather Gilbert Gottfried doesn’t sound anything like Gilbert Gottfried in private, which is a relief, but it makes you think, he’s surely paid a heavy price for the fateful day when he thought “hey, it’d be funny if my public persona talked like this”.

(That’s probably why Bobcat Goldthwait switched to directing)

3 Likes

tenor

3 Likes

How much does this cost on Cameo?

(I want to get him to do the shai hulud prayer just for the sheer pain of it)

2 Likes

It looks like it would be $175, which seems like a steal (assuming that you are looking for an extremely effective sonic weapon and give zero fucks about the Geneva Conventions)

6 Likes

Wow. Now I just have to weigh the benefit of doing this against potentially not being spoken to by my wife ever again…

5 Likes

There’s a wonderful documentary about Gilbert (don’t recall the name offhand), and it is striking how nondescript he sounds out-of-character.

1 Like

Pretty sure it was called “Gilbert”

1 Like

For $175, you’d think he’d put a little more effort into it than he put into this.

“I must not have fun. Fun is the time-killer. Fun is for children, customers, and the help. I will forget fun. I will take a pass on it. And while it is going, I will turn a blind eye toward it. When fun is gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain–I, and my will to win. Damn, I’m good.”

from Doon

3 Likes