Hear the haunting original sketch for The Beatles "Yellow Submarine" sung by John Lennon

Originally published at: Hear the haunting original sketch for The Beatles "Yellow Submarine" sung by John Lennon | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Yellow Submarine is a lovely, silly song that has brought joy to millions of people of all ages. That the greatest band in history would devote time on a record to that idea makes me love them all the more.

In other words, all you haters can just keep it in your pants. No one wants your dark clouds.

Having said that, I would have loved to hear this original concept brought to completion.

10 Likes

The fact that they didn’t just devote time on a record but put so much effort into getting this lovely, silly song just right is what makes them great. The fact that this early version is sad and even dark just makes the one so many of us grew up with even more joyous and poignant. It’s a light in the darkness.

“Yellow Submarine” was the first Beatles song I remember hearing. We were on a family road trip and my father, who only wanted to listen to talk radio, was turning the dial in search of something, but stopped at “Yellow Submarine” and put his hand back on the steering wheel until the song was over.

9 Likes

“Yellow Submarine” was the first Beatles song I remember hearing.

Same here, but it was my mother singing it. I told her I liked the song, and she told me she wrote it! I was young enough to just accept that (and she knew it), and it was only years later I realized how out-of-character that incident was for her. The family still gets a laugh out of it.

8 Likes

I kind of like it better without the swing added to the rhythm, but that’s just me.

Never a fan of the Beatles but I do like the melody of this demo.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.