Heather used to be a popular baby name

My wife’s name is Heather. She was named few years before the peak point.

I really like the name Heather, but maybe that’s more to do with her than anything else…

5 Likes

Not evil, just upper middle class conformity, which to Gen-Xers is a fine line that it didn’t take much narrative work to stretch :slight_smile:

Every generation has its hipsters, yes.

4 Likes

The name wil continue to be used, might as well wonder why it became popu!ar.

There’s a “Jemima” up the family tree, even the street named after her was renamed. There’s another “Jemima” that married into the family, it can be confusing. But how often do you hear the name name, except for pancakes?

My great, great grandmother was named “Henrietta”, that’s not a common name now, but it got recycled back then, no surprise when families were large but population density was low.

My great, great grandfather remarried, to a “Laurenda”, and the name got reused in subsequent generatiins, including a cousin who died last year.

I don’t think “Heather” (my sister’s name), will fade like some if these names.

2 Likes

Locklear.

3 Likes

Hmm… No, then we’d expect to see a rise in the popularity of the name Veronica, the plucky heroine played by a then-uncontroversial Winona Ryder. But alas:

3 Likes

Why not just call everyone Flora?

5 Likes

3 Likes

I would imagine the popularity curve comparison for Freddy vs Jason would peak somewhere around 2003.

2 Likes

It’s a well-established fact that Christian Slater ruined the name Heather for everyone.

1 Like

3 Likes

6 Likes

Ah, 1988 - the good old days when a kid bringing a gun to school is no biggie if you only shoot off blanks

Now they’re all named Stacy? :wink:

2 Likes

Sometime around 2036
Teenager: Hi, I’m Donald
Me: Named for the president or the duck?
Teenager: Ha ha, the cartoon.
Me: ANSWER THE QUESTION!

9 Likes

But Dr. Donald Duck wasn’t named after the Disney character

When the Duck family named their son 80 years ago they had no hesitation in choosing the name Donald - a nice solid name with no baggage…

3 Likes

All we need is a far right populist called Heather to kill off the name

giphy%20(7)

1 Like

Sent this article to the dozen Heathers that I know.

1 Like

The only Heathers I know are in their 60s.

1 Like

According to the SSA, the year that “Nigel” was most popular in the US from 1920-today was in 1994, with 0.022% of all male babies being named Nigel.

I think I only know one Heather, and she’s a little younger than my older sister…