Heavy metal and Dungeons & Dragons were a match made in hell

The original Space Hulk PC game used Bolt Thrower as it’s theme song if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Between my 1st edition Dungeon Masters Guide and my Iron Maiden albums, my Mom was 100% convinced I was worshipping Satan in the early 80s.

5 Likes

As a lifelong pit starting metalhead and enormous nerd, this is a fun thread

I know, there’s countless major and esoteric metal bands with some insane riffs, but I stand by this- Cenotaph by Bolt Thrower has the most metal opening in all of metaldom. The riff just chugs, like a skull crushing juggernaut, over your lifeless corpse

Enormous Bolt Thrower fan, and grew up around 40k (my brother used to be heavy into it), but never got into Warhammer. I should love D&D, but it bored me to tears trying to play it. Give me Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, Suikoden (the original), or any RPG any day, I was a gamer nerd.

Vader is another huge fav of mine for metal- though not inspired by D&D, they were nerds too- inspired by Star Wars. And Vader just destroys.

4 Likes

Indeed.

For true D&D nerd metal. The kind where Maiden doesn’t give them the kick it used to, and they have to switch to harder stuff.

Stratovarius.

Manowar.

Ancient Bards.

Release the Archers.

Rhapsody.

Know the signs. Friends don’t let friends listen to Luca Turilli solo albums.

4 Likes

I didn’t know it at the time, but my first few visits to a Games Workshop store they were without a doubt playing Bolt Thrower as the choice of ambient music. Here; I thought, was undoubtedly a store designed for the likes of me.

2 Likes

Definitely have mine, though I doubt I played it twice. Don’t get me wrong; I love metal (listening to Myrkur now) but my distant memory is that the flexidisc band(s?) wasn’t great.

3 Likes

Yeah, but what about Dragonforce? exits under hail of projectiles

2 Likes

Ian Miller claimed inspiration from Albrecht Duerer, and inspired me to buy a set of technical pens in an attempt to imitate him (it didn’t last long).

I can’t remember the name of the other WH artist I loved: his work heavily featured creepy man-in-the-moon and sun in splendour images.

ETA: John Blanche! It was John Blanche.

3 Likes

Pete Knifton and Carl Critchow for cyberpunk, Jes Goodwin for Elves and everything pointy-eared - Blanche and his obsession with red and everything female scarred and in heels…
The whole place fuelled by pints of Bitter and bacon sandwiches.
Weirdest place I ever worked.

4 Likes

Wot? No mention of the album Traveller by Lord Weird Slough Feg? Although the first song should REALLY be about dying during character creation, IMHO.

3 Likes

I Bought White Dwarf for years, I had both of the flexi-discs but preferred the music tapes that came with the children’s (?) games like Oi, dat’s my leg…

Much more fun than their offerings today :smiley:

1 Like

And this one, the song title even sounds like a D&D campaign:

1 Like

The novelty did wear off pretty quickly.

Yeah, Blanche was providing the 'eavy metal from the start of Warhammer - it took a while for the rest of their art to catch up to him.
He set the tone with the cover of the first edition, and got better from there:

It seems like it took the American game publishers longer to start treating game art seriously, and even when they did, it was pretty straightforward illustration without much individual style, much less metal flavor.

1 Like

I learned the proper pronunciation of the famed WWI battlefield Passchendaele from them.

2 Likes

Tunnels & trollies being a notable exception, at least with Liz Danforth’s and Rob Carver’s work.

3 Likes

Liz Danforth is one of my favourite artists! I discovered her illustrations in Traveller, and love the fact that she also made new images for the re-released version of The Fantasy Trip

1 Like

I was just listening to this earlier tonight. So metal.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.