Heavy metal: down the rabbit hole of cast-iron doorstops

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/22/heavy-metal-down-the-rabbit-hole-of-cast-iron-doorstops.html

1 Like

At my parents house for one of the side doors, they use an actual 19th century iron. It doesn’t take up a ton of space, is plenty heavy and has a good shape for this purpose that doesn’t damage door or wall. It does not look as cool as these!

I like the dachshund boot scraper:

7 Likes

A manager at my work has a vintage cast iron Mickey Mouse. It appears that it’s original purpose was to be a piggy bank as it has a slot on the head but she uses it to prop her door open

4 Likes

Used to play with these at my grandparents’ house - some were animals and some were people.

3 Likes

I know my mom has a couple like that, one paint and one just all black.

My grandpa had some really awesome cast iron elephants, with ivory tusks (not sure what kind of ivory, more than probably its walrus or something). They were awesome looking but my uncle snagged them when my grandparents died.

2 Likes

i think this subject deserves the full occlupanid treatment–

2 Likes

Found this by a dumpster:

7 Likes

is that the original starbucks logo?

1 Like

wow, some guys have all the luck!

anyway, in case anyone else was wondering, I clicked through to see if this is the Scott Thompson from Kids In The Hall. it is not.
but aside from the name, these seem like something he would collect, right? anyone else?

They aren’t all dogs and rabbits.This guy has been welcoming visitors to our house for many years. The woman who gave it to us used it as a doorstop (solid iron, just over 2 kg).

3 Likes

Darn, my little guy faces right.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.