Hedgehog Facts

The beauty and appeal of the hedgehog is without doubt.

In fact, careful observation may reveal that the hedgehog has subtly inspired the shaping of modern kitchen/cookware items…

5 Likes

“As a man of Science, I deal in facts. - and the fact is that hedgehogs are gross…”

2 Likes

Sure, if you have 144 of them in a room…

16 Likes

Also posted in the Cake thread…one of today’s Sunday Sweets at Cakewrecks:

15 Likes

a helpful guide

17 Likes

Another fact worthy of note:

19 Likes

I laughed loud enough to startle a cat. :scream_cat::joy_cat:

11 Likes

14 Likes

Speedwalikng champions

17 Likes

Further archaeological research of the El Castillo cave paintings, has discovered this, the earliest hedgehog art ever discovered. The work, from c.39,000 BCE, used stencils and ochre to create this simple but charming and historic painting.

17 Likes

If someone hasn’t covered it already, there’s also the ancient Greek quote that inspired Isaiah Berlin’s famous essay: “The fox knows many tricks and the hedgehog knows only one, but it’s a good one.”

Also, by any chance do you live in Italy? I had a business acquaintance there some years back who had a hedgehog as a pet.

10 Likes

It’s a fragment from Archilochus, πόλλ’ οἶδ’ ἀλώπηξ, ἀλλ’ ἐχῖνος ἓν μέγα. There’s a number of hedgehog references that crop up from Berlin’s essay, though they tend to focus on Big Idea things, while hedgehogs really know the most important thing: to stab anyone or anything that annoys them.

I live in Austin, though I’ve visited Italy (and Greece). I’m here because I went to UT to study Classics, so there’s a loose connection to Italy (and Greece).

10 Likes

This Greek red figure vase from the early 5th c. presents many mysteries to the hedgehog art historian. It’s possible that the figures depict the tale of Aleterix answring the riddle of the Sphinx (in an unusual Lydian hedgehog form), or alternately this might a tale of Croesis where the figures were replaced with hedgehogs, or one of several dozen other accounts because hedehog art historians with time on their hands can fill in blanks is all sorts of ways. Regardless, so far as as ancient hedgehog art goes, this is a wonderful masterpiece of Greek hedgehog art.

20 Likes

earlier in the week, there was a Hedgehog featured on the Windows 10 lock screen and some one mentioned it and so i made a quip about hedgehog art through the ages and i had a book all about it.

he was gobsmacked when he saw it on my desk later in the week

15 Likes

I saw a certain hedgehog with a pearl earring lead an 11 year old girl to laugh herself into a small fit just the other day.

6 Likes

The high-five was a nice touch :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks! Really looking forward to getting my laptop back in a week so I can return to playing with animations.

6 Likes

This is a doubly exciting find. First we present a recent dicsovery of an ancient papyrus (apparently inadvertently misplaced by E. A. Wallis Budge in a nook in the Brisith Museum) which presents a fascinating view of what scholars believe is a hedgehog goddess judging the souls of the deceased. More fascinating is that the transliteration of hedgehog goddess’ name in Egyptian is ‘eid-zil-la’ - it appears that we have discovered the most ancient reference yet know in art history to Hedgezilla!

(would that @khepra were here)

13 Likes

How did the Pointillists, the Impressionists and the Dada movement represent hedgehogs?

4 Likes

Impressionists tended to use a rather refined approach:

While Van Gogh was a postimpressionist, his work’s germane and at times quite subtle:

I’m unaware of pointillist works, though it seems like they’d be the most inclined to hedgehog art given the subject. I’ll need to do more research there.

The only known Dada representation of a hedgehog I know of is this:

18 Likes