Heinz now has spoon fries

Originally published at: Heinz now has spoon fries | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Mayomust”? for my Dutch friends where (oh where) is the “Mayoketch”?

For what must’ve been years i had been grim witness to a lunch-time of Dutch colleagues methodically emptying packets of ketchup on top of mayonnaise and then stirred together before the french fry consumption could commence. (“As they say: ‘ya ain’t much if ya ain’t Dutch’”)

2 Likes

Heinz calls that particular product Mayochup

3 Likes

Max Miller did a recent episode of his show on the history of ketchup…

And he made a “white ketchup” from the 18th century, which is absolutely nothing like what we think of today as ketchup.

6 Likes

One color? How boring!

9 Likes

Yum, toothpaste ketchup.

10 Likes

The only way I’m getting on this wagon is if the spoons are double ended like kayak paddles.

8 Likes

I don’t know about “yum”… :grimacing:

3 Likes

Mankind is beyond saving. Also, I hate peanut butter and jelly together. I’m not a fluffernutter nut, either. Plain peanut butter on boring white bread sandwiches for me, thank you. If I’m feeling wild, I sometimes toast the bread first.

2 Likes

I mean, I really like ketchup on my fries, but I don’t want an actual spoonful of ketchup per fry. That kind of transforms it from a condiment to a side dish.

Also:

6 Likes

You could start on one end while your beloved starts on the other end.

i read that these “friez” are made of 100% potatoes, but are they an extruded glop like instant mashed potatoes moulded into spoon shapes?
are they meticulously carved from heirloom variety pommes de terre? skin on? skin off? can i get mine fried in cage-free goose fat and truffle oil, dusted with gold leaf?
if only available in the UK, why? don’t you put malt vinegar or HP sauce on chips anyway?
i am so lost right now… i’ve never really questioned how to get more ketchup on a chip. i like salt. don’t @ me with mayo love. that is right out.
/chiprant

4 Likes

The same goes for peanut butter and jelly unless you’re one of those fluffer-nutter psychos. Nah, I jest, of course. I am one of those fluffer-nutter psychos too.

Peanut butter and harissa.

Seriously. Hear me out.

The garlic, the cumin, the hot peppers, all of them highlight and elevate the roasty savory elements of peanut butter. It’s absolutely fantastic.

A lot of jarred harissa is kind of insipid, in my opinion. I got taught to make it by soaking dried hot peppers in boiling water, straining the water off, then dumping them in a food processor with garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and caraway then drizzling in olive oil until it gets a texture like really thick mayonnaise.

Mixing it with peanut butter on toasted wheat bread was amazing.

8 Likes

Makes me think of Thai food like pa nang

6 Likes

Sorry, Heinz. I really, really do not like ketchup. The idea of a spoonful… well, I’ll not yuck other people’s yum.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of people like you. Low maintenance, right? Probably pleasant to hang out with, too? I don’t know what that’s like.

Meanwhile my new preferred peanut butter sandwich is best on challah (or just a fresh homemade loaf) with marmalade, fresh basil, chili powder, Sriracha, and either some bacon or a nice sprinkling of salt. I’m told I’m pleasant to be around, but there’s a tone when people say it.

3 Likes

I’ve heard about you anti peanut butter and jelly types.
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

I’ll work for food. Need windows washed? Floors? Entire kitchen remodel?

1 Like
1 Like

I’m pretty sure it stems from my childhood. I was one of those kids who didn’t like different foods on my plate touching each other, and I absolutely abhorred foods that were amalgamations of multiple ingredients, like casseroles, stews, and soups. So peanut butter mixed with jelly was right out, even though I was perfectly fine with either on their own. I have, for the most part, long since grown out of my dislike of food mixing, but the pb&j think has stuck with me for some reason.

1 Like