Hellboy 25th Anniversary art show

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/23/hellboy-25th-anniversary-art-s.html

1 Like

The wife insisted I pick out a book for myself while we were in BAM so I got an oversized hardback Hellboy in Hell for Xmas and am just super pleased about it.

I love you, Pussycat!

1 Like

My favorite superhero… possibly the only one I like, can’t think of any other ones. Too bad the last movie was so terrible, it’s not the same without Ron Perlman.

1 Like

“Wuv, twu wuv.”

1 Like

I regret missing that one Free Comic Book Day issue featuring the Matt Groeining sketch.

1 Like

So the stars aligned that Gary Gianni was at my local comic con. IMO, his illustrations of The Shadow are second only to M W Kaluta or forth if we are counting pulp/paper back covers with Rosen and Steranko.

So not only did I get all my Shadow comics done by him, but also a print and managed to get him to do me a sketch, which is by far my best original Shadow piece.

Anyway, it just so happens he had recently illustrated Hellboy, Into the Silent Sea. While not a comic collector anymore, I did get Hellboy back in the day, and so I picked this up to support the artist and because I like Hellboy. Was not disappointed, it was fantastic!!

Also, fun fact, Mignola did a Shadow cover back in the day. I love it.

Here is the original - which was n the market at one point…

Also, Mignola did this awesome 4 part series for Marvel Epic, featuring Fritz Lieber’s Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser! Written/adapted by - Howard Chaykin, who was known for his 80s Shadow reboot.

I’ve loved Bill Sienkiewicz’s work since he did Elektra: Assassin. So much expression and great color use.

1 Like

They grow up so fast…

I’m a huge Hellboy fan so here’s a thing I’ve been working on for a bit. It’s an annotated timeline of the entire Mignolaverse. It’s far from complete but I think it’s neat.
https://www.sutori.com/story/mignolaverse--ZBfGyjgBsxkLmpVZv3Q9FfzJ

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.