Hello Darkness 2022

… various November and December observances and observations :snowflake:

5 Likes
8 Likes

I have a couple of relatives in Norway who live north of the 70° latitude, and for some of them the dark season isn’t half as strenuous as the summer when the sun just won’t go down.

16 Likes

Interesting. Is it because they can’t get good sleep, or something else?

4 Likes

Probably because they just hate the sun.

“Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.”

20 Likes

Ah, that’s why it’s only “alright” I guess. You know, when the sun comes, little darlin’.

7 Likes

Curious about sunrise and sunset times for your area? Timeanddate.com can help!

I was invited to the wedding of someone I havent seen in 30 years in Galway, Ireland on 10 December, just a couple of days before the darkest evening of the year. Pass.

Fun fact! In most places in the northern hemisphere the darkest evening of the year comes a few weeks before the darkest morning. The solstice is just the day with the shortest total daylight.

7 Likes

I always realize at this time of year that my problem is not that “I am not a morning person”, it’s that they decided to make morning too early. I pop out of bed in the morning when we go back to normal. I hate the idea of staying on Daylight Saving all the time…

8 Likes

Yes, exactly. The fist time I visited it was around midsummer and I didn’t sleep at all for the first three days. By then I was so tired that I basically switched off for 10 hours or so. The sun never even got near the horizon. When you looked outside without checking the time it was impossible to tell whether it was noon or midnight. When you’re not used to it it can freak you out. And obviously mess up your usual rhythm. You need to live by the clock.

Still totally worth it; its lovely up there. Looks a bit like youre high up in the Alps well past the tree line and is less than 100 m above sea level. Juniper bushes and small birch trees. Wild chives. Sheep. Sometimes reindeer. No polar bears despite Hammerfest wanting you to believe that. Sandy beaches with crystal clear water. Stockfish. Waffles with clotted cream and strawberry jam. Five litres of coffee a day. Oncoming traffic of five or six cars over 100+ km drawing a remark about heavy traffic today not meant as a joke. Receiving GPS signals on all 10 channels of the Garmin at once. Fjords. Fjords inside other fjords…

12 Likes

A benefit that had never occurred to me!

2 Likes

Are they signed?

(Kurt Vonnegut shout out, oh, yeah.)

2 Likes

Not Douglas Adams?

7 Likes

Doh, you’re right. The recent Vonnegut birthday thread threw me for a loop.
Thanks.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Happy Solstice Week :sun_with_face:

I believe the Moment is Wednesday 9:48 p.m. UTC

6 Likes

Oh, no! How will I justify going to bed at 4:30 PM when it’s still light out?

4 Likes

It’s still “civil twilight” until 5 where I live, but it’s pretty dark by 4. The clouds don’t help much.

People are driving with their headlights on all day.

4 Likes

After 5 does everyone get rude?

4 Likes

The next phase is actually called “nautical twilight”—maybe we should all put on our sailor hats half an hour after sunset :thinking:

5 Likes