Her Magesty's Royal Shroom: Hallucinogenic fungi found at Buckingham Palace

Fun? Just make sure you take lots of other drugs first.

Yeah, prolonged vomiting is rarely fun, if not instructional.

2 Likes

I did know that nearly all plants rely on fungal nitrogen fixers, but I wasn’t aware that fly agaric participates in nitrogen fixation.

I also wonder: Could there be a way to sort of… “Pickle” the soil so that an undesired fungal species gets out-competed by one you consider more desirable?

Strictly speaking, it’s usually bacteria that fix nitrogen, rather than fungi, and mycorrhizal symbiosis isn’t nitrogen fixation, as it doesn’t pull nitrogen from the air. But yes, fly agaric will help supply nutrients to their associated trees in some way.

Sulphur has been used to make soils more acidic, and inhibit fungal growth. I don’t know how effective it is, but if the fly agaric doesn’t like, your trees might not like it either…

1 Like

I think these mushrooms are used in the rituals of ‘peeling back’ to reveal the lizard beneath.
Probably.

2 Likes

I guess it’s interesting that Liz has Amanita in her garden, but this doesn’t seem like much of a story, since it would be bizarre if Buckingham Palace didn’t have Psilocybe semilanceata, like every other green space in London.

(Hampstead Heath is ideal for picking these, as it’s big enough that people don’t get up in your grille, and there’s enough for everyone)

1 Like

Badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.