The Magic Mushroom Map shows likely spots for psilocybin-containing mushrooms

Originally published at: The Magic Mushroom Map shows likely spots for psilocybin-containing mushrooms | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Mushroom hunting has a very large health risk. Don’t.

They’re easy to grow anyway.

16 Likes

Awesome. I’m sure they got permission for foragers to just traipse around those 10 square mile dots they’re using.

If you’re interested in foraging and need/use this map, you’re part of the problem.

4 Likes

In the dataset they used for this, only 0.4% of all records were from July, so the date matching seems a bit off. You’d be much better off waiting till September (27%) or October (44%).

3 Likes

I had a friend in high school who used to pick mushrooms in the cow pastures on the outskirts of our town. He said “they’re chewy and you have to find a lot of them to feel the effect.”

I myself have picked a few, done the research. . . and still wasn’t willing to risk accidental poisoning.

4 Likes

Free drugs!

Kidding, you must be.

3 Likes

Nope- and I have a brown thumb.

5 Likes

Thought I hit the jackpot in my raised garden beds. Asked a seasoned horticulturalist who has experience hunting. Even they said they could have been anything. Using an app similar to Picture This, the mushrooms were identified as common field mushrooms. I was still skeptical of all the advice, but thought my life worth more than the risk.

6 Likes

This map shows how to kill people through criminal negligence.

4 Likes

Teach me, Sempai!

(Seriously, can you guide me toward any how-to info for growing psilocybin or related species at home? Or perhaps where to get spores?)

3 Likes

I have proven an effective forager.
So… I’ll do me, then, I guess.

4 Likes

Many thanks! Hope to see you in the mycoverse!

3 Likes

I’ve heard mycology is mushrooming.

9 Likes

Liberty cap shrooms are properly named psilocybe semilanceata - also called “semis”. Psilocybe cubensis (“cubes”) are probably the most common psychoactive shroom and they are the easiest to cultivate. Liberty caps are very difficult to cultivate. The highs of each are similar - and yet quite different, with the liberty caps providing a more elegant and deeper experience. East coast (Canada) liberty cap shrooms are the absolute best.

or so i’ve heard

7 Likes

We can assure our readers, whom we wish to preserve, that there are only two facts to bear in mind when selecting fungi:
1:all fungi are edible.
2: some fungi are only edible once

-Terry Pratchett

20 Likes

There are plenty of websites to help you learn how like https://mycotopia.net/ and in most states it is legal to buy spores of cubensis “for scientific study”. And, plenty of websites exist to sell you legal spore syringes. I understand that it is quite easy and fairly inexpensive to grow your own. Allegedly. I don’t know what it costs to buy shrooms but I bet you could grow a BONCH for the cost of a small amount of finished product. Also, very very low risk of dying from getting the wrong kind, which I consider a big plus.

9 Likes

Yeah. Best place to find mushrooms? In your airing cupboard in the mushroom growbag.

5 Likes

r/unclebens on reddit will get you started.

2 Likes

My secondhand experience has been that this is true. A friend who had a very green pot-thumb decided to try growing them. Pretty soon he was regularly handing me 10-15 grams of “extra” at a time. High-quality fungus, too.

4 Likes

I like how the image shows England is for the most part a nearly shroomless wasteland while Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall are among the hottest spots for them on the map.

2 Likes