Here are 19 excellent questions about the deadly Capitol riot

Originally published at: Here are 19 excellent questions about the deadly Capitol riot | Boing Boing

13 Likes

They forgot question 20: What is up with all of those calls made on burner phones to the White House?

30 Likes

I suspect that some of the answers here are “building something takes time?” But also, c’mon already!

18 Likes

I love these videos, and if the tables were turned the GOP would be making them with RNC money and airing them 24/7 nationally. Instead we depend on a few vigilantes who know how to PR.

19 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know.

11 Likes

The fact that they aren’t moving much more strongly on these crimes has been bothering me for months. The only puzzle piece I have that might fit is that the dems want to time the pressure rise for next year’s election cycle, but I can think of much worse reasons. Like fear, being generally disorganized, etc.

22 Likes

This one has a straightforward if unsatisfying answer.

The standing policy of the DOJ is that no President will be charged while in office, or for actions taken while in office. As far as they are concerned the only available mechanism for dealing with a lawless President is “impeachment and removal.”

21 Likes

That one is easy; obstruction. McCarthy went out of his way to disrupt this process and, unfortunately wields a fair amount of bureaucratic soft power.

34 Likes

I hear they believe that it would diminish the office too. As if there were much left of it after Trump.

4 Likes

We know the answers to most or all of them, which is just as problematic.

Hey, how about: Did the wife of a Supreme Court justice organize bus transportation for out-of-state rioters, without any consequences?

25 Likes

YouTube link:

7 Likes

I understand all of these except for the unsecured windows one. I guess if I were trying to break in somewhere, I’d go for the windows that looked unsecured. Or does “unsecured” in this case mean a lack of security you wouldn’t be able to know about from outside?

5 Likes
4 Likes

It means exactly that. There was a window, tucked away in an obscure corner of the building, which wasn’t as bulletproof and armoured as most of the rest. The swarming crowd didn’t even try those other windows, they made a bee-line straight for the single most vulnerable window in the building. They knew, beforehand, where the weakspot was.

29 Likes

Got it. Thanks!

7 Likes

A bunch of the windows had been upgraded with smash-proof glass, but iirc, the insurrectionists seemed to rush to the non-upgraded ones, almost as if they had inside information.

ETA: @catsidhe - jinx.

24 Likes

probably googleable but why does clyburn have a secret office?

4 Likes

I hope it’s not that. The Republicans are going to spin it as purely partisan nonsense without any substance, but waiting makes that accusation sound even more accurate, IMO.

3 Likes

I think the Trump presidency is an argument for the DOJ rethinking that policy.

18 Likes

Why hasn’t a single Republican member of Congress that was involved in January 6 been subpoenaed?

IMHO, this is one the Democrats won’t dare do. Two reasons: (1) Both Reps and Dems have their shady secrets, backroom deals, and questionable connections. They risk some of these accidentally coming out. Not issuing subpoenas covers both Dem and Rep asses. (2) The Dems calculate that if they subpoena a bunch of Reps, the Reps will unleash a storm of idiot subpoenas once they regain control but if the Dems leave them alone the Reps will reciprocate. They have the first part right but not the second because they still insist in believing the “colleague” fantasy–we can expect Benghazis up the wazoo when the GQP slinks back into power.

14 Likes