Here are some of Xeni's favorite tools

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/08/30/here-are-some-of-xenis-favor.html

1 Like

The foam roller is a good value over the typical cost of these things in exercise stores (~$30). But you should really instead buy one from an arts and crafts store for $5–they are harder, which is slightly more painful. But the pain means you’re getting a better stretch.

It’s also not clear to me why the vinegar costs $30, when compared to something similar available for $7.

2 Likes

You’re right. I should start a thread for my own useful, but thrifty picks.

Aw, c’mon, Mark, Cory, etc., have posted similar things before and it’s been relatively uncontroversial to have users share their own picks.

4 Likes

Well, hopefully, someone can supply a constructive answer to what’s better about $30 vinegar.

If there’s an answer other than “because Xeni likes it,” I’d love to know, too. If it’s, I don’t know, hand-crafted vinegar made in a traditional way and because of that superior in some way, that’d be an interesting thing.

5 gallons of 99% acetic acid for $130! That would come out to about $9 a gallon diluted to 30%.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Glacial-Acetic-Vinegar-Killer/dp/B00KCSBGGC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

4 Likes

The vinegar you link is 6% vinegar
The one Xeni likes is 30%
30% > 6%

There’s still cheaper options available at 30% acidity:

1 Like

Unrelated: Whoah, I haven’t seen a photo of Xeni in a while. Glad to see she’s looking good!

1 Like

“I don’t like to give money to big chemical companies, which is why I use 30% vinegar instead.”
“Who makes the vinegar?”
“Dow Corning!”

I use Oral-B electric toothbrushes, but their design is not sustainable. When the battery stops taking a charge it is nearly impossible to replace it, as they are hard-wired in the handle with super-thin delicate wires routed circuitously through a plastic framework. I’m sure this is intentional to discourage the replacement, which is despicable design.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.