Here are the top 15 most Southern words used in Airbnb listings

Originally published at: Here are the top 15 most Southern words used in Airbnb listings | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“gameday”?

How is this Southern? Literally everywhere there is a sports team there is a Game Day.

Come on y’all!

9 Likes

How romantic.

/s just in case.

8 Likes

There is NO part of the USA that is not still defined by the legacy of slavery.

18 Likes

Up here in the PNW, there are certainly game days, but people put a space between the words. I think the single-word “gameday” is perhaps distinctly Southern. Obviously the same concept exists, but the syntax is a little different. (My favorite odd example of this: in British English, it is totally normal to refer to a men’s upper garment as “a top.” In American English, no one would say that that’s wrong exactly, but it usually means women’s clothing.)

I will take this opportunity to encourage everyone to replace “plantation” with the more accurate “slave labor camp.” Not only is it a better description of the actual function, it’s also a stick in the eye to the sort of Lost Cause assholes who just can’t stand hearing the truth. And, apparently, it’ll also piss off pretentious AirB&B types, just for a bonus.

22 Likes
1 Like

yeah (bless their hearts) “gameday” isn’t a general notable Southern states term. and someone has to explain to this northern_yankee about “stilts”? is that being used in some other context than…

?

ahhhh @zabieru explains “stilts” to this sad pilgrim. thankee!

5 Likes

I think we’re talking real estate here, so they’re stilts for houses.

8 Likes

Stilts.

13 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever thought about it, but the NFL itself uses the contracted form:

And has for a while. There used to be a game with the same name, too.

ETA: Ok, I don’t know what to call it when it’s a contraction stylized with a capital letter for the second word. Whatever. I’m still not paying for it, NFL!!!

2 Likes

Being that the Appalachians were contiguous to the Scottish Highlands, it’s a bit hard to view it as especially Southern

11 Likes

Even if you restrict yourself to the north American part, they go well into Canada.

6 Likes

I don’t think game day was used exclusive to Southern Airbnb listings, just that it was one of the top 15 most use words.

I suspect it might crop up in the top 15 most used words in the north.

3 Likes

Alligators, dolphins, armadillos, redfish, shrimp

One-third of the list is animals. Three are delicious. One intelligent. And the third is the only non-human carrier of Hansen’s disease (leprosy).

Honestly, though, I’m surprised that dolphins made the list.

6 Likes

According to the Japanese and people in Central and South America, all 5 on the list are delicious…

3 Likes

i knowed what was meant by that.
bless y’alls hearts, y’all need to read more Hiaasson!

ETA: i would totally rent a stiltsville house for a boat-up vaca, but for two problems - 1: the stilt houses are all gone; removed and 2: biscayne bay is literally full of shit! as in, miami/fort lauderdale’s broken sewage treatment actually pumps effluent into that body of water. gross!

10 Likes

“Southern hospitality” has always meant wildly different things to different people.

12 Likes

This Appalachian Pennsylvanian was also confused. But then I realized my last intern lamented seeing more confederate flags here than she did back home in Georgia and I was reminded PA is just weird.

12 Likes

So, yet more letting white racists define southern culture.

No Way Reaction GIF by Laff

Bless his heart…

10 Likes
1 Like