Amazon and eBay ban confederate merchandise

[Read the post]

1 Like
9 Likes

7 Likes

24 Likes

The closest I ever got to having a bar fight was when I referred to the Confederate battle flag as being the 19th century version of a Participant ribbon.

18 Likes

Walmart says ‘eh, not quite’

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Annin-3-x-5-Mississippi-State-Flag/19427020

^one of the first results that popped up when I searched for “confederate flag” on Walmart’s website

1 Like

Aren’t “soaring” and “skyrocketing” weird quantifiers? People seem to like confusing quantity with height, for whatever reason.

also, Etsy.

Now there is a customer list that would be good to have.

4 Likes

I can’t remember any occasion on which so many have moved so fast.

Undoubtedly someone is already contemplating the profit margins on a “Totally Innocent Orange Flag With Blue X with Stick-On White Stars” kit. (Also undoubtedly, any such kit will result in multiple people pasting thirty stars onto the flag at once, y’know, to symbolize Extra Freedom.)

1 Like

Where will people get their Lynyrd Skynyrd merchandise now?

7 Likes

As much as I agree that the Confederate flag is used as a symbol of intolerance and racial division, I’m much more concerned about our culture of nee-jerk reactions to each new traumatic incident.

Every time we cheer on the latest cultural mood swing just because it coincides with our own beliefs we only serve to assist in making these swings wider and more uncontrolled in the future. And at some point in the future you can expect a shift away from your own ideals.

Where are we when you can expect and count on companies to instantly bow to the demands of the loudest screaming voice demanding them to remove this offensive product, and that loudest voice is not yours?

For most of the 80’s and 90’s a certain puritanical sect of the conservatives had a lock on this tactic. Now I see it employed more and more by the liberal/progressive side. I don’t honestly feel better seeing this used this way now any more than I liked it being used to try and ban (without technically banning) music, movies, and video games back then. The fact that I am offended by the Confederate flag but not offended by profane lyrics doesn’t reassure me that this is a good course of action.

25 Likes

So a white guy shoots up a black church, and instead of having a reasonable discussion about arms control, we ban a symbol, or at least make it marginally harder to buy.

15 Likes

How about a General Lee matchbox car?

I’ll probably have to settle for some sort of generic knock-off:

7 Likes

the General Lou?

7 Likes

Divide and conquer. I just never expected it to be so obvious.

1 Like

Logical solution is to produce an 80% Confederate Flag kits with instructions on how to complete item

5 Likes

So, will they be banning the Confederate flag as well as the Navy Jack?

I don’t think it belongs on state flags, etc. but I don’t think it should be removed from every store online.

2 Likes

This is a hot topic at the crossroads of linguistics and cognitive neuroscience. Some of these kinds of things are cultural, others appear to be functions of human physiology - check out the theory of the embodied mind.

4 Likes