Here are the TSA's rules on whether it's OK to take live fish and other unusual items on a plane

Originally published at: Here are the TSA's rules on whether it's OK to take live fish and other unusual items on a plane | Boing Boing

1 Like

In 3oz of water that’s going to need to be a tiny fish.

3 Likes

TSA shows they have the wisdom of Solomon in their solution to the 6 oz fish problem.

Half the fish in Dad’s baggage , half in Mom’s.

4 Likes

That was the answer I expected for cannabis related items: the TSA are the feds, and the feds consider cannabis to be a dangerous substance, like opioids. So no-go.

1 Like

But of course, the actual answer is, “whatever the officer* at the checkpoint feels like confiscating”. I’ve had plenty of stuff that I know is legal to carry on taken by them because the front line staff don’t know many of the finer points of the rules. But what can you do? You can’t argue with federally funded security theater, so you quietly smile and give them your stuff.

*Perhaps “officer” instead, because it’s good to be reminded that TSA are not law enforcement, nor legally agents of the state, nor do they have any powers of arrest or detainment. They sure want you to think they do, though.

4 Likes

The idea of lying to a child to cover for the absurd security theatre of the TSA really rubs me the wrong way.

Let them grow up mad about it.
Let them run for high office.
Let them win.
And when some staffer says, “But if we get rid of it you’ll be blamed for anything bad that happens ever!”
Let that child say: “Heck with that. They killed Swimmy.”

3 Likes

May as well put it in 3oz of water. It probably has the same chance of surviving after a flight improperly packaged in a bag of the water it was given as a prize in…

I shall spare everyone a lengthy rant about fish (usually goldfish) as prizes. So you just get a short one :wink: “Don’t it’s just dumb.”

1 Like

Maybe…be better to live animals than this. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Swimmy’s Enforced Disappearance: boys and girls 3-7 will love* this books’ colorful illustrations and aseptic euphemisms.

1 Like

Can I say that I don’t want “discretion” on the part of TSA agents. I want explicit and sensible rules. Discretion just means that people the TSA agents don’t like get screwed.

3 Likes

Given the time it takes to get to the airport, get through security, board, fly, disembark, pick up luggage, and get to your destination with a fish tank, I don’t think Swimmy is going to survive anyway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.