Here is why yellow school buses have those black stripes

Interesting to see that city transit buses are used as school buses in Europe.

I remember the opposite in Mexico when I lived there in 1973; the local transit company in Ensenada had purchased a fleet of surplus 1950s American school buses and repainted them to serve as transit buses.

4 Likes

they also have special swing out stop signs in some places, special flashing lights, the emergency doors at the back that you have to jump out for fire drills and just about nothing else, windows that cant come all the way down yet never seem to go all the way up, a distinct lack of air conditioning and heating to help toughen kids up… in theory a lot of safety devices regular buses don’t have -

and oh yeah - some black metal stripes around the outside, i don’t know what those are for though

of course city buses usually have wheelchair access and most schoolbuses don’t.

the post office also uses regular vans for package delivery. there are just a lot of places with roadside mailboxes all over the us, so having the reverse side driving position means you can deliver without exiting the vehicle.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.