Here's a faster way to empty a bottle or jug

It’s also not any faster period, judging by the video.

Emptying the Coke bottle the “bad” way runs from 0:39 to 0:50. Emptying the coke bottle the swirl way runs from 0:55 to 1:06.

Except you’re drinking water from Tijuana. So, there’s gonna be some fast drainage regardless.

1 Like

Contrary to the popular (racist) stereotype, nobody drinks the standard working water; only drinking water.

2 Likes

If you fill a plastic milk jug with hot water, you can roll it up and screw the top back on as you pour it out.

1 Like

And for all the Australians who love a touch of Nostalgia. Here’s Rob and Dean doing it on “The Curiousity Show” back in the late 70s/early 80s.

4 Likes

Then there was Bill Foster. (I believe he was on “Taxi” once.) Owner of The Fox Inn in Santa Monica. He could instantly down a mug of beer. Talked into visiting said Inn by a native Californian who knew of some “interesting places”, several of us then 20-something North Easterners from work watched Foster do his thing. His mouth was huge, and he seemed to inhale the beer in.

Yeah, but for glass bottles, you have to count the time you spent going to the hardware store to get a diamond bit, drilling the hole, cleaning up the glass shavings, and then emptying the bottle. It’s about the same. /s

2 Likes

Didn’t you watch the rest of the video? You just put your lips together and blow.

1 Like

I’m unfamiliar with Tijuana. What’s the racist sterotype?

That the locals actually drink the tap water, and that the poor water quality arises from Mexican apathy about improving their situation — instead of the manufactured socio-economic disparity that the USA has influenced for over a century.

5 Likes

If you add the time it takes to create the swirl in the bottle to the time it takes for the bottle to empty, the times for the 2 different techniques are pretty close to each other.

If you have the right technique, it’s demonstrably faster. Look at the video I posted above.

The Mad Russian dude just sucks at swirling.

I started doing this more or less intuitively back when I was trying to brew my own beer - rinsing out bottles is a real chore, and this made it a bit easier. I was convinced it was faster, but never actually managed to time a significant difference - so in the end I put it down to bias towards action rather than any major difference in time use. Guess my gut was smarter than my brain and timing skills though.

Also worth noting that the benefit is likely to shrink the smaller the volume of the bottle gets, as the proportion of time spent getting the vortex going vs. time with the vortex getting water out increases.

Wait, what? This seems like a CrazyRussianHacker parody channel.

The water quality arises from all the crap that’s dumped into the river. And, yeah, I don’t know anyone who drinks anything but tap water there. But, I don’t know anyone who drinks river water near any city anywhere in North America, regardless of race.

With a little practice, swirling the bottle adds negligible time. While I never used a timer, I had ample opportunity to test this against the person who first taught me the technique. I worked in a lab that used highly concentrated acids that came in two-liter bottles (usually glass, but plastic when necessary – hydroflouric acid, for example, would eventually dissolve a glass bottle). The rule was, when you emptied a bottle, you had to rinse it three times before placing it on the disposal cart, and by “rinse” they meant fill it nearly full with water, then dump the water down the drain. When you’ve just emptied four bottles, that’s 12 rinses. The guy who showed me would fill a bottle, flip it upside down, and then swirl it. I used the glug-glug method. He was generally done rinsing his bottles while I was only about halfway through mine, at least until I adopted his technique.

So yeah, in the video it isn’t faster when you factor in the time swirling the bottle, but the guy who made the video is doing a poor job of it.

2 Likes

Very interesting post. Not much like the others. Nice read.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.