Here's a glimpse into the brain of a flat-earther

I was wondering the same thing. But if he is he’s certainly doing a bang-up job of it.

1 Like

“First you assume a spherical cow.”

5 Likes

Why end the video there when it was really getting good? The interviewer had great material to keep on asking questions, and the guy was responding and providing “answers”.
Now I’m left with my own questions. If this guy is right,

• Why do I need to wear sandals in the beach if I don’t want to burn my feet?
  • Oh, it’s not the sun, it comes from the ground? Well, how does snow melt from tree tops or house roofs?
  • Why is there only one shadow when I’m standing next to my friends? Shouldn’t all the suns produce more shadows?

There was so much to go with and this guy decides to cut it there!?!?
I need a sequel.

8 Likes

Drugs are bad kids. That dude probably took some bad acid back in the 60’s.

1 Like

I have to admit, everyone has their own local universe that stops 50 miles away from them and the rest is just projection is the most sensible version of the flat earth I’ve heard. Like, if your world stops at the horizon then it would be basically flat. It would stay flat as you journey, since things would materialize at one edge and dematerialize at the other, even though your path would ultimately loop around exactly like one on a sphere.

It’s philosophical nonsense – sort of a geographical version of Last Thursdayism – but at least you can’t prove it wrong with a sailboat.

9 Likes

His cerebral cortex is the thing that’s flat.

3 Likes

Of course everyone has their own sun, and it isn’t some ball of hot gas. It’s just a digital creation in this simulated experience. I’d like to think some of you are real people, but it’s just as likely you are all generated by AI. You’ve never met me…are you sure I’m not an AI?

4 Likes

Let’s consider the metaphor of the cockroach running for cover from said enlightenment. Kitchen floors can seem awful flat.

The multiple suns thing is, however, a work of contambulated genius.

4 Likes

… and, coincidentally, it’s just about time to talk about Daylight Saving Time again :crazy_face:

6 Likes

More importantly, are you sure you’re not an AI?

7 Likes

Some shoes are more bendy than others…

7 Likes

Well, shoot - now I really want to know how the flat-Earther thinks this works, and what he thinks the Sun actually is. This is a new level of crazy above the usual flat-Earth rhetoric I hear, but there’s a lot of individual explanations people come up with to try to paper over the basic fact that the flat Earth model really doesn’t make any damn sense (and as a result, flat Earth texts are full of unaddressed holes that believers have to patch themselves).

Yeah, seems like he’s implying “the Sun” is some sort of optical phenomenon like a rainbow, but that requires there to be some sort of very bright, distant light (let’s call it… “the Sun”) that also somehow manifests as a local “sun” that’s only 50 miles away (through some mechanism that probably only makes sense inside his own head). But it’s impossible to know what he thinks the reality is, from that exchange… I’m really curious, though.

I mean, there’s definitely a sub-section of the Young Earth Creationist set who disbelieve everything “NASA” (i.e. all astronomers, physicists, etc.) has to say on the subject of modern physics, including gravity (some are explicitly geo-centrists, with the rest just dismissing physics generally), and see it all as a big hoax. In (their) reality, God essentially runs what we would call the “laws of physics” willy-nilly according to His whim based on specific context, so it’s all “intelligent-(fill-in-the-blank)”. So… yeah.

They think the edge is Antarctica, and a worldwide government conspiracy keeps anyone from going there (please ignore the people who go there, as presumably they’re part of the conspiracy). The idiocy of that claim doesn’t bother me as much as how distorted the distances in the Southern Hemisphere would be, compared to reality, if Antarctica was the edge of the world.

But if the Earth was flat, then light would shine across its surface in a way that’s radically different to what we actually see, necessitating some really weird, convoluted explanation.

The thing is, once you accept something so obviously counter-factual as flat-Earthism, you have to keep “upping the crazy” to explain why all the evidence isn’t consistent with that model. Every time you drill down trying to explain away one particular issue, you need more and more convoluted, counter-factual explanations to explain them (which in turn…).

8 Likes

Thank you for enlightening me. I have to admit I missed that reference in regard to the titular figure of a certain series by Jasper Fforde.

7 Likes

That’s been settled.

Obligs:

7 Likes

This is the part that intrigues / concerns me. It’s an easily-disproven theory - you don’t even need to leave your yard to make observations that sink the idea. But the grip people have on these ideas is one hell of a cautionary tale, or maybe a bug report for HumanOS.

8 Likes

That’s actually brilliant. I’d invest in that pitch.

6 Likes

If nothing else, it’s amazing how stupid people will be to show (to themselves) how much smarter they are than everyone else…

4 Likes

My stepsister would’ve said, “Brain? What brain?!”

3 Likes

Y’know, I think I was about 16 when it dawned on me that each and every person is basically their own little ‘world,’ with themselves at the center:

That said, you’re absolutely on point; one’s mere perception is not reality.

Fire is still hot, water is still wet, and the planet is still round.

10 Likes

3312_original_tumblr_lk2auncuxW1qbw5qso1_500

18 Likes