Here's a glimpse into the brain of a flat-earther

I just stared at that for 15 minutes. There’s always another ball to try and follow.

Was that around like 20 years ago? I feel like I vaguely remember it on someone like YTMND.

11 Likes

Apparently from 2005, so not quite twenty years but close. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

There are some “somewhat reputable” physics theories that say that everything around us is a kind of illusion. Some of this guy’s positions seem rooted in that, but then go completely off the rails with trying to reconcile what he experiences in the real world, and what he read in a book 40 years ago after doing a lifetime of acid.

6 Likes

There are supposed to be turtles all the way down!

3 Likes

got the reference. waaay early self-made webages. good on you for the tag.

5 Likes

A) A serious LSD trip should snap him out of it.
B) A serious LSD trip turned him into a flat-earther.

7 Likes

I’ve listened to and read a fair bit about these folks and yes, most of them genuinely believe it. Despite pretty much every branch of science and many facets of everyday life having to somehow be part of a massive conspiracy, involving millions of people, none of whom have admitted to it, ever. One thing I haven’t heard any explanation of is WHY it’s so important to hide a flat Earth. If it were true, then… why should anyone care? Presumably a flat Earth was our assumption anyway, before observation and evidence disproved it and before conspiracies were even invented, so why even bother to hide it at all?

11 Likes

It’s been said many times that there is very little overlap between conspiracy theorists and project managers; the latter group are well aware of how difficult it is to get a dozen people to work toward a common goal.

And that doesn’t even begin to address the “but why, tho?” question.

12 Likes

To add to the crazy, there is a considerable overlap between conspiracy theorists and people who loudly proclaim that “the government” ist totally useless and can’t get shit done.

14 Likes

Homer Simpson Zombies GIF - Homer Simpson Zombies Simpsons - Discover & Share GIFs

6 Likes

I have a friend whose brother has completely embraced the flat-Earth shenanigans.
His method is to try to disprove a spinning sphere.

“That’s stupid - we’d all just fly off into space.”
“No, that’s not how gravity works.”
“There’s no such thing as gravity. There’s nothing lighter than air, that’s why everything falls down.”

Mind you, this is the same guy who claims that foreign dignitaries are obliged to provide a blood-sacrifice whenever the British royal family visit.
He’s kind of an all-rounder. (?)

And yes, the waft of super-skunk precedes his every visit, though I know plenty of smokers who haven’t lost the plot, so no correlation as far as I’m concerned.

9 Likes

My brother became a Broken Coins theorist – you remember the (apparently successful) conspiracy by President Bush to blow up the Twin Towers – but he’s managed to steer well clear of everything since, thank goodness.

5 Likes

Por qué no los dos?

4 Likes

well this proves it Galileo and Copernicus were just dudes that smoked to much of something and spewed wacky theories /s

Yeah - nobody ever talks about us oblate-spheroid-earthers, do they!

Observations and belief are non-compatible. People would rather believe their own internal monologue than the external inputs from the optic nerve.

Logic and faith have never co-existed.

@nubwaxer and @chenille Grrrrrrr! (Yet another wonderful time sink!) :wink:

PS Does anyone know how to turn off the music on that Blue Ball Machine page?

6 Likes

Yeah, perhaps - it’s hard to tell from that little snippet, but it seems like what he’s implying isn’t so much “all reality is an illusion,” but more “the ‘Sun’ is an optical illusion.”

Something I’ve always wondered, when I hear that “explanation” - how are things “light” or “heavy” without gravity?

4 Likes

It’s an inherent quality of things, obviously!

I wonder what that guy would say about balloons or clouds…

5 Likes

Dude, sheesh, you tell me!

:grinning:

5 Likes

Phlogiston reacting on the Luminiferous Æther. Duh.

8 Likes

You have to ask, if you see them again! (Although I could understand not wanting to open that can of worms, for fear of what else it might unleash…)

They don’t exist? Claiming balloons are a conspiracy seems about on par with all the other conspiracies necessary for the flat Earth narrative… as it includes anyone who has been to Antarctica, all governments and their workers (at some level), physicists, anyone working on or even just using any sort of space or satellite technology, airplane pilots, pretty much the entire Southern hemisphere…

That feels like it belongs to a more coherent worldview than possessed by flat Earthers.

7 Likes