Here's how most blind people pour hot liquids

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/21/heres-how-most-blind-people-pour-hot-liquids.html

8 Likes

He brings up a good point at the very end-how easy it would be for him to do a job that he’s currently not allowed to do because of (ahem) nearsighted corporate policy.
I can think of lots of fun hacks for one of those gizmos.

6 Likes

I have “seen” these devices, and have found out they don’t reliably work with distilled water. (tap water is OK.)

3 Likes

Not enough minerals to close the circuit?

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that I can often hear the difference in the pouring noise as liquid approaches the top of a vessel. I assume that visually impaired people would be better at that than me, so I’m a little surprised they don’t just do it that way.

4 Likes

Can’t you use your thumb?

Distilled water is a very poor conductor, it should be possible to use a float switch for the same purpose.

1 Like

Another way to do this could be a voice activated smart scale.

The scale could be programmed to beep at any given weight, which could be converted from fluid volume. Most liquids people drink have a close enough weight to volume ratio, that I think this could be done rather simply.

1 Like

I thought the same thing, but maybe it’s hard to hear against ambient background noise or a television, sound of traffic through an open window, etc.

Not everyone wants to dip their thumb into steaming-hot/boiling-hot beverages. Maybe he needs it to steady the pot or whatever. Perhaps he doesn’t want to dip his thumb in a guest’s drink. So: no.

3 Likes

Anecdotally most blind people I know use their fingers, but that’s possibly just because they grew up before these were commonly available. With boiling water you can feel the heat so you’re just risking a burn rather than guaranteeing it.

Having a cheap and simple device that stops accidental burns and lets you serve coffee without contaminating the mug is a clear win.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.