Here's the best Washington Post headline of the morning

An offer one can’t refuse. Torturing someone to force them to sign a document. This is my chance to use “Rabbi” and “Mafia” in the same sentence.

6 Likes

One is reminded of an episode of the Sopranos where Tony is hired to secure a get.

3 Likes

Now I have to finally start watching the Sopranos.

Not surprisingly, it does not turn out well for the people who hired him.

1 Like

Thanks… Captain Spoiler!!

:open_mouth:

5 Likes

A rabbinical court in Israel on Thursday sentenced to five years in prison a man who for years has refused to give his wife a divorce. …

1 Like

You’d think that an all-knowing god would have worded his doctrines to deal with all future possibilities instead of making people debate “what constitutes ‘fire’?”

Or maybe he just knew he had to give theologians something to keep them busy.

3 Likes

As I understand it this is basically the history of strict interpretations of Judaism. Remember this is the religion where one of the core books is basically 6,000 pages of previous precedent for interpretations.

1 Like

That’s an excellent example why civil marriage is good idea.

1 Like

Civilseems always to be a good idea.

Oh. Maybe not on civil war.
However, most of the time civil is a good idea.

Goy Ritchie.

8 Likes

Yeah, it was only kinda; their method is definitely unacceptable. What they really should do is have the guts to say “You know, this tradition is crap, let’s change it.”

(Edit - by “tradition” I mean the particular practice, not the whole shebang)

3 Likes

What would God-Man say?

Oh, right. . .

5 Likes

I can certainly get behind that. And I’m sure many Orthodox Jews do too. These particular rabbis are scum, but we must resist the tendency in the West today to paint a group with the actions of extremists. We’ve turned team politics into a blood sport, and it’s a big part of what’s tearing our society apart. [Not suggesting you we’re doing so, only wanted to be clear that I condemn these individuals, not all Orthodox Jews.]

4 Likes

I think this is where the notion of free will might come in.

1 Like

free will doesn’t exist. It’s a pernicious lie designed to get people believing in god.

Which is what I’m addressing here, the religious argument.

1 Like

May I humbly propose that any discussion of free will be spun off into a separate thread? From experience, it’s likely to take over this one if we hold it here.

4 Likes

Ehhhh. . . so if we get to debate whether electricity is “fire” then that means we get to debate what “sin” is? So why would Jehovah (since that’s the G_d we’re discussing) even bother to make laws?

I think free will is distinct from what I was addressing.

You’re right. My apologies for bringing it up.

See above.

2 Likes