Here's the trailer for the Apollo 11 documentary

In the UK here, from the Guardian a couple of weeks back:

" Apollo 11 is released in the US on 1 March and in the UK at a later date."

And most annoyingly, I shall be in Las Vegas in 4 weeks time so will have missed the chance to see it in IMAX there… here’s hoping it’ll come to the BFI IMAX in London! (Science Museum will also probably show it, but as I understand it that isn’t a ‘proper’ IMAX…)

Oh, and I can tell it’s fake by the pixels :man_facepalming:. I sat in my local pub a few nights ago, listening to a conversation between two conspiracy theorists.

One was earnestly relating how, since the Saturn V was so massive and burnt so much fuel, how could they lift off the Moon with something so tiny? That was his conviction about it. Had I gone with my instincts at that point I would probably also have a conviction now.

(I could have gone over and tried to educate them as to the error of their ways and explain how science is actually a real thing, but applying the cluebat would have been soooo much more satisfying…)

1 Like

Thanks, well i’ll keep my eyes peeled then. I saw 2001 at the Science Museum last year, not sure if it’s “real imax” or not, but it was beautiful.

Well, it seems I unfairly maligned IMAX at Science Museum (based on a friend’s comment the other year). He was of the opinion that it was a digital IMAX (not 70mm), Wiki says otherwise. Not much difference in screen size either, though the BFI one is still bigger.

2001 in IMAX - sadly missed that. But a newly printed - but unrestored, so original - 70mm is showing at the Prince Charles in Leicester Square at the moment. That’s next weekend’s outing sorted!

Scott Manley is my go-to space guy on youtube, lots of great videos if you are into that kinda thing.

1 Like

Just saw the movie (which was great), it makes sense in context as a message Nixon delivered to Armstrong and Aldrin by phone shortly after they stepped onto the surface:

“Because of what you have done, the heavens have become a part of man’s world. And as you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquility, it inspires us to redouble our efforts to bring peace and tranquility to Earth. For one priceless moment in the whole history of man, all the people on this Earth are truly one: one in their pride in what you have done, and one in our prayers that you will return safely to Earth.”

Yes, it was still a bit of a romanticized notion but it was still a nice thought.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.