Here's the trailer for the Apollo 11 documentary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/07/heres-the-trailer-for-the-ap.html

6 Likes

Will they make it back alive? I can’t wait to find out!

6 Likes

Some people have been asking “why did it take 50 years to make this documentary about Apollo 11?”

I can only imagine how impatient those people must have been waiting for Ken Burns to finish The Civil War.

15 Likes

Hopefully I get to see this in theaters so I can keep an eye out on the gathered crowd shots for Stanley Kubrick hiding in the background waving…

5 Likes

I’ll let Scott Manley field this one…

4 Likes

that war ended 150 years ago - what’s taking him so long?

saw it in imax

not only is it one of the best movies I’ve ever seen, it’s also, clearly, the most expensive movie ever made

don’t hesitate. it’s beautiful. and inspiring.

11 Likes

Spoiler Alert: Neil Armstrong will not make it to the end of this film.

I saw this on Tuesday night and it was AMAZING! Even though Apollo 11 occured a few years before I was even born it was tense to watch, hoping that everything goes as it was supposed to. The clarity and sharpness of (the majority of) the footage is staggering in IMAX. It might be too late to catch it on 70mm like I did since Captain Marvel is taking over the IMAX screens starting tonight but it would still be well worth seeing in a theater.

Keep an eye out for Johnny Carson at Cape Canaveral for the launch (I missed him but my buddy saw him).

2 Likes

Wait, so this was shoot with those Kubrick-ish cinema cameras, right?
So this means a film crew shot everything.
So who says this is real???
Because flat earth.

"So this is basically just a prequel to Apollo 13?"

8 Likes

Because they didn’t have CGI back in 1969!

3 Likes

god, i can’t wait to see this. i didn’t realize it was coming to IMAX. now i’m torn on which format to see it in – the easier one, or the better one?

3 Likes

Saw it this past weekend in IMAX at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre… twice. Yep, it’s that good. A visceral experience.

4 Likes

I can’t find anything about this being shown outside North America :frowning:

Looking forward to seeing this.

Other space nerds may enjoy the Space Rocket History Podcast which has been recounting the space program since Mercury - several years in the works, they just completed Apollo 13.

2 Likes

Part of me wishes I’d known this was coming out last week so I could see it in IMAX before it got punted to the normal screens. The other part of me is aware that I wouldn’t have had the spare change to do so last week anyway. Alas. Hopefully I can get out to see it this weekend, though. Maybe make a Captain Marvel / Apollo 11 double feature.

2 Likes

First, how do you shoot 65mm footage of Apollo 11 and then forget about it?

Second, “The last time we were ONE?!” In 1969? WTF does that mean?

2 Likes

They did have CGI in 1969, it’s just that the computers were so slow (back then 1 MHz was fast, 1 Mbyte was a massive amount of memory, and there were no GPUS) that the rendering took 50 years to finish.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing that video review! It was great.

1 Like