Here's the video for crash #147 at the 11foot8 bridge

You win! 

3 Likes

Soooooooo close. If he had just let some air of his tires. . . .

4 Likes

That lift is going to need a new bucket.
107-nothing-to-do_wookielord1

7 Likes

Many overheight trucks go into the intersection and turn right. You are going to have constant truck-running-into-tube noises for the people working and shopping on that street annoying drivers that know about the bridge and aren’t planning to go under it.

6 Likes

@Raugturi you are right. There can’t possible be a solution to this worldwide problem. Everything is futile.

2 Likes

There are many solutions. They have been implemented. Some people manage to fuck up regardless of the solutions. We can wreck the intersection for everyone else to solve the problem for a tiny, tiny minority of particularly inattentive drivers (some of whom will still find a way to crash), or we can accept that those tiny, tiny minority of drivers will have a Bad Day.

tl;dr version - this is why we can’t have nice things.

14 Likes

Instead of trying to make the opening larger, perhaps if they lowered the bridge clearance to something like 9’ fewer trucks would try to go through.

5 Likes

Won’t someone think of the innocent 11’ 7" trucks?

2 Likes

I wonder if the drivers who were intending to go straight wouldn’t be distracted by hitting the tube such that they’d be more likely to miss the warning signs and go under the bridge. The people currently going under the bridge really aren’t paying attention, and I suspect hitting a tube might make them pay attention - but to the wrong thing.

Well, it’s not a worldwide problem - there are issues specific to this bridge. Beyond making the current sign that warns vehicles to turn - which is composed of flashing lights - more visible to drivers who aren’t paying attention, I’m not sure there’s anything that could be done without completely reworking all the roads around that bridge.

The core issue here is drivers who aren’t paying attention and/or don’t know what they’re doing (i.e. don’t know the height of their vehicle), and altering the road environs won’t fix that.

3 Likes

I just now noticed that every truck that goes under this bridge must make it through a stoplight first.

Stoplights have gotten pretty sophisticated these days. They can do special trick for first responders, they can adjust their timing for traffic conditions… they’ve essentially become yet another computer peripheral.

So here’s a thought: what if the traffic system could detect an overtall vehicle far enough away for the stoplight to, yknow, stop it? Seems like it would be easier to alert the driver of a stopped vehicle that they were about to make an expensive mistake.

It would cost money to make this change. And the internet would no longer get to enjoy videos of traffic accidents. But Ill bet it would cost less than the 147 accidents we’ve already gawked at.

Eventually, itll be an RV that get can-opened, and some kid will be illegally sleeping up top, and at that point the joke wont be so funny any more.

1 Like

HIVE-MIND SOUL 4QÅ◆-BLUE-2M: Greetings of the day, sister.

HIVE-MIND SOUL 9Z∆♣-RUBY-6L: The blessings of a peaceful earth be upon you, brother.

2M: Do you wander to these lands from afar?

6L: Yes. I have traveled many thousands of miles in peace through the restored Eden that is our world to come hence.

2M: I give thanks for your safe journey. Truly, much good has been done in the ten thousand years since the Bad Times.

6L: I saw no hunger, no want, no hand raised in anger as I traveled.

2M: The sky is clear, the water pure, and the ecosystem healthy.

6L: Our world is more like heaven than the heaven our distant ancestors believed in.

2M: Our only sorrow, that humanity so long suffered the torments of war and strife and degradation.

6L: Well… not quite our only sorrow.

2M: What do you mean, sister-soul?

6L: There’s still that one bridge in Durham, right? I mean, that’s still all fucked up.

2M: NOW LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT, WE’VE TRIED EVERYTHING. MAYBE PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO DRIVE!

6L: DON’T TAKE THAT TONE WITH ME, YOU DEFEATIST SWINE, YOU PEOPLE ARE THE REASON IT’S NOT FIXED YET!

9 Likes

Well, they could build a second bridge, same height, 10 feet in front of the existing bridge.

PS - this is the same approach a lot of computer programmers take to fixing problems.

3 Likes

This one is going on my bingo board. City bus clearance is 11’6" and they use Gregson heavily.

4 Likes

They’re doing this now, though. It turned red because they were overheight.

9 Likes

This is exactly how the stoplight is designed. It turns red when a truck triggers a laser sensor. Speeding trucks still blow through the light.

Edit: @Gyrofrog beat me to it.

10 Likes

I love snark, but RTFC, dude. This has happened almost 150 times. If you can find a solution to human stupidity, go for it.

1 Like

There’s a reason this bridge is an extra credit problem for my Systems Analysis students.

3 Likes

So close! Maybe the driver just got confused and thought he was at the 11 foot 9 bridge up the road.

3 Likes

and deprive us of these beautiful videos?! You’re mad, MAD, I say!

Big rig drivers: They’re just as inattentive as us!