Here's what really happens when you swallow gum

Originally published at: Here's what really happens when you swallow gum | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Interesting font choice in the video that can be easily misread

4 Likes

200-1 3

7 Likes

There are things I don’t want to watch, so can someone post spoilers?

9 Likes

Cadaver parts, brined. That’s all.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile: I don’t care about the cadaver, I don’t want to see rotten gum…

2 Likes

Appetite spoilers?

3 Likes

TL:DW gum comes out the other end just like any other indigestible material and within the same time period

The cadaver bits were interesting. No rotten gum. I’m not sure gum really can rot

7 Likes

I watched halfway. Gum did not dissolve in a solution of hydrochloric acid similar to stomach acid. Tl;dw: “Check his diapers for the next few days & make sure he passes it.”

3 Likes

Also, bezoars.

2 Likes

In the mid-1980’s I bought, at the local “co-op” food store, a clear unmarked plastic bag with about a pint of loose shiny gray lozenge-like pieces of what turned out to be more or less pure chicle [the original gum base?] with some peppermint flavoring, maybe a little sugar but I think not. Anyway, instead of it getting more and more rubbery, this instead got looser and looser, sort of slopping softly around in my mouth with generous saliva. One could gum that stuff for hours, with pleasure and satisfaction. Wikipedia writes that chicle has been largely replaced by a synthetic rubber (!!) since 1952 (when Guatamala ended the foreign exploitation). There’s a market here!

3 Likes

The tl;dr is that you can swallow and poop gum a lot faster than it takes to sit through the padding in this video.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.