Here's what Ronald Regan thought about the right to vote

Originally published at: Here's what Ronald Regan thought about the right to vote | Boing Boing

11 Likes

“How far the mighty have fallen.”

(eat shit, Mitch!)

16 Likes

Nothing’s changed. He meant white votes, obviously.

39 Likes

If he was alive today, I’m sure he’d qualify that statement of course as the “right to cast legal ballots.”

30 Likes

I have nothing good to say about regan except that he had a helluva good speech writer.

21 Likes

On the basis of that unqualified* statement, the GOP wouldn’t run him for any office today.

[* as others have noted, there are unspoken qualifications here]

19 Likes

My dearest hope for Ronny is that he is spending eternity shitting his depends that can never be changed. Amen.

20 Likes

Ronnie Raygun was a flaming Liberal by today’s Batshit Insane Republican standards.

22 Likes

I really think its in our best interest to destroy the republican party before it destroys the country.

17 Likes

I think they’re beating you to it.

9 Likes

Also during the Reagan era…

“Saint” Ronny was a liar, a racist, a homophobe, and a warmonger…

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

28 Likes

I thought when I read it that, if the right to vote is the “crown jewel”, it clearly has to be reserved for those who deserve it.

11 Likes

That’s it, right there. Their conspiracy logic requires fake voting and fraud which would be damaging the whole American Experiment thing. And on face value that’s not incorrect-- IF there was massive voter fraud then it would be damaging the democratic system, it’s just that they claim massive fraud without ever proving it, despite trying to find it over and over. Ultimately they think they don’t need to prove it, and are pushing these laws that in turn damage democracy instead, so the end result still hurts the system, just that this way it also helps their side.

It’s like saying “werewolves are real” and pushing laws restricting travel during a full moon, except for gun owners who have silver bullets, who coincidentally are also all Republicans.

16 Likes

fixed that for you.

16 Likes

I was just having a conversation this morning with a younger activist around Covid and the impact on vulnerable (oppressed) populations. I was reminded how the LGBTQAI movement really took off in large part because of the community clinics that had to arise in response to Reagan’s denial of care. A community doing for itself led to a butterfly effect of rights awareness, activism and sustained structural change. It’s really astonishing what has been accomplished in the past 30 years.

23 Likes

not fast enough

9 Likes

The problem is that he says “American liberties”. The modern Republican Party has defined themselves by defining who gets to call themselves ‘real’ “Americans”.

10 Likes

Yeah, “fast enough” would have been after Watergate. The question is how far can they ride the bomb before it explodes under them?

7 Likes

Sure. But people should not have to do a bunch of extra work just to get the help they need. It was done out a utter necessity, because the Reagan administration was content to let gay men die.

12 Likes

Exactly. That’s how it arose in a conversation about BIPOC communities being left to die during this pandemic. It just led me to realize the parallels in the two circumstances and how galvanizing it can be for ignored communities.

10 Likes