Here's why The Worlds End is an underrated masterpiece

Me too, once it’s not spelt the way I expect (Seán) I don’t differentiate. I don’t mean not to, but they don’t make sense to me so they are just put in the mental box of “other spelling”

7 Likes

I think The World’s End is my favorite of the three movies, because of the deft filmmaking and themes, but Hot Fuzz is the most rewatchable, and is also a tour de force of genre homage. Never been much of a zombie movie fan, so while I like Shaun, and appreciate its homage, it’s not my favorite.

4 Likes

I also saw The World’s End in the theater and didn’t care for it that much at first but sitting with it and rewatching it I’ve come to appreciate it more and more.

I loved Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz from the very first, and still find they’re just as great no matter how many times I watch them again, but The World’s End is the one that gets better every time I go back to it.

4 Likes

This is probably unusual, but of the three films, the only one I’ve seen is The World’s End. I enjoyed it. I still don’t really have much interest in watching the other two. I don’t know why, really. I like the actors. For whatever reason, I just have no interest in watching them.

2 Likes

I have always thought this one was underrated, it has some great writing and feels honed to a fine art of Wright & Co. really mastering their craft, but i agree that King is difficult to like and extremely manipulative. Hot Fuzz is probably peak cornetto despite it taking a while for me to really love for some reason. I also wonder if this one has a very specific British take on small town life and the takeover of bland corporate pubs that alienates international viewers.

4 Likes

The World’s End is such a great film, & I defy anyone to say otherwise

4 Likes

Doctor Whom?

5 Likes

It was originally Doctor Whom but Verity Lambert made them change it

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t see the above

PS I was lying by the way

3 Likes

Why is it called a trilogy? The films seem totally unrelated.

1 Like

“Seem” being the operative word

10 Likes

OOhhkayy. Funny fence jumps in all three. That still doesn’t explain it unless Cornetto is English slang for fence jumping? Is it supposed to be ironic calling it a trilogy?

BTW I enjoyed watching all three.

2 Likes

Its a trilogy in the same way this was

15 Likes

Seemed silly, but that helped @the_borderer.

1 Like

It’s a joke about cinematic pretentiousness. Three films, all starring Pegg and Frost, all directed by Edgar Wright, and all featuring a cornetto for a few seconds. Is there a deeper connection, a thematic continuum that weaves the three films together?

4 Likes

a mistrust of polite society? zombies, cults, and alien doppelgangers; you never know who - or what - your neighbors really are

6 Likes

(Cornetto is a brand of frozen quasi-dairy snack treat product manufactured by the company known as Good Humor in the United States)

3 Likes

@almighty_bob shan’t be answering any more messages

6 Likes

tenor (1)

5 Likes

Scouse me?

3 Likes