Herschel Walker only just stopped renting out home claimed as his Georgia residence

Originally published at: Herschel Walker only just stopped renting out home claimed as his Georgia residence | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I’ve seen that movie!

source

8 Likes

piñata of lies

A plethora of them! (Walker doesn’t know what “plethora” means either).

10 Likes

The fact he got so many votes is just proof positive that right wingers will vote for literally anyone with an (R) next to their name. Walker could be a raving pedophile cannibal and they will either deny it or claim its perfectly normal behavior, calling the people who point it out racist.

26 Likes

He was staying in Dr. Oz’s Atlanta home?

17 Likes

Yep. But he couldn’t be a raving pedophile cannibal. That’s the Democrats thing. (/sarcasm in case you wondered)

9 Likes

Aren’t there residency rules? Did he have to attest somewhere on an application that he was a resident?

9 Likes

Yes, but the state already certified him. So, he’s in.

10 Likes

See also NJ’s own Mehmet Oz.

5 Likes

Pinada is a virgin pina colada.

5 Likes

I was in north Georgia a few weeks ago, right next to MTG’s district. I overheard a woman wearing a LOT of American flag pins telling her friend she was really excited to vote for Walker, because–stop me if you’ve heard this one–“he’s not a politician.”

16 Likes

Yes, but it can be demonstrated that he falsified those forms and the certification could be revoked. They won’t do that, but…

12 Likes

For the kinds of people who would vote for Walker, the fact that he doesn’t live in, or care about, the state doesn’t really matter. I mean, they don’t care that he’d be a totally ineffective representative unable to fulfill the functions of the job, so living in another state is hardly a deal-breaker.

6 Likes

Of course not. Republicans would never go to a rave.

7 Likes

Most of them would probably see that as a plus. They always say government doesn’t work, and then go out of their way to elect people who will prove it.

12 Likes
5 Likes

Can you say Carpetbagger? Are you still a carpetbagger if you live in another Southern state?

2 Likes

To be fair, Sen. Warnock has also run on the idea that he’s not a “politician” either, rather someone who cares about the people of Georgia, who wants to get stuff done for us. Running as a political outsider is not just confined to the Republicans, but is a common tactic employed across the political spectrum, because it resonates with any number of voters…

So, I’d argue that the whole idea of people running as political outsiders are based on some very real and understandable suspicious of “political insiders”. People believe that “washington insiders” are merely grifters, because such things DO exists and are an actual problem that we should be aware of and deal with. It comes out of the real and perceived government corruption from the 60s and 70s. Many people, on the left and right, became deeply suspicious of government actions and motivations. Johnson didn’t run for another term because of public perception that he lied about Vietnam (he did). Around that same time, several revelations about the FBI and CIA corruption at home and abroad angered many Americans (for good cause). And then the shit icing on the shit cake - the Watergate scandal (nail in the coffin). The GOP was smart enough to weaponize the real anger that existed (as well as white anger over the end of Jim Crow) in order to tear down all of the things they hated about the New Deal order that had created a robust middle class (government regulation, high, progressive taxation, social welfare programs, labor unions, etc).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.