'He's Luke Skywalker, and he's here to rescue you!' Vintage commercials for Star Wars

Originally published at: 'He's Luke Skywalker, and he's here to rescue you!' Vintage commercials for Star Wars | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I bet toddler me saw these on a small black and white TV.

3 Likes

Luke Skywalker was just a farm boy…

Pissed off farm boys hurl cow dung at the TV screen.

3 Likes

I was 10 years old, living in Kansas. In May, we weren’t inside to see these ads unless the streetlights came on and we had to go inside, which was usually around 9 pm.

I didn’t even know what the hell Star Wars was until my parents picked me up from summer school and took us to see it on opening day.

3 Likes

Wait. The first one says winner of 7 academy awards. Then he says starts this weekend?

3 Likes

Second theatrical run?

8 Likes

Second spot is the best, third spot is a bit goofy. First and last are, meh, too much plot revealed.

1 Like

Star Wars was re-released to theaters numerous times even before the 1997 Special Edition, including when ESB and ROTJ were released in 1980 and '83 respectively.

2 Likes

Is it just me or have they not dubbed in James Earl Jones’ voice yet in the second spot?

1 Like

That wasn’t Vader’s line.

“Luke Skywalker… Princess Leia… In love… In Danger…”

…AWKWARD…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.