Hexagons are the bestagons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/hexagons-are-the-bestagons.html

7 Likes

I guess it’s that easy to spot a Titan main.

4 Likes

Is CGP Grey OK? Or is lockdown getting to him a bit.

2 Likes

Old grognards love 'em, too. Much better than simple square-based grids.

13 Likes

I played the Star Wars Miniatures game back in the day, and always wish they had hex grid vs squares. I am guessing squares are easier for people to make their own maps… since it also fit in with D&D Minis they had at the time Table Top RPG is full of dungeons on grid paper, so I guess in that respect it makes sense.

6 Likes

Cattan Jr. has been a hit with my kids:

Highly recommended if you are into online games:

7 Likes

Hexxagons you say?

3 Likes

@AndreaJames

efficient for making study walled

Sturdy?

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6)

5 Likes

I need to sturdy my writing before hitting post!

4 Likes

That is true for (extrusions of) two-dimensional lattices, but if you are talking about space frames or foams or crystal structures, then the love should go to rhombic dodecahedra. They are underappreciated because they’re not one of the Platonic solids (though they are Catalan solids), but they are a cool shape and kina the 3D counterpart of hexagons. Also they are easy to make.

5 Likes

As a fellow Destiny player (Hunter main because we’re rad):

1 Like

Indeed, Grey discusses that aspect in the video, largely from the point of view that being able to race diagonally at speed sqrt(2) on square grids is weird, and it’s good that all adjacent tiles are at the same distance. (He doesn’t explain why that’s a better solution than disallowing diagonal moves, though.)

Also:

12 Likes

I for one like my tilings like I like my women, aperiodic with five fold rotational symmetry.

Although I did have to pause the video due to laughter at the Cat’s Cradle reference around 5:11.

yeah, but heptagon are better.

I should start a diary of things I learn on the BBS - usually one to five things a day!

6 Likes
1 Like

Nine honorable persons may disagree.

2 Likes

Circa 1991 I did my master’s thesis on rendering with hexagonal pixels. However, the only displays available use rectangular pixels. This made it difficult to realize the renderings.

7 Likes

Very Sixy.

4 Likes