Hey - um, can we have the Regular Lounge thread back if we behave?

I believe the term is “inpatients” now.

11 Likes

Ah, see; He said healthy community.

6 Likes

11 Likes

Amen to this! The militaristic titles bother me hugely. They seem to me to directly contravene the stated (paraphrased) desire to not separate community members as much. Ranks, whether military, quasi-military, or pseudo-military (i.e. i’ve heard about the relation to Trek) inherently separate.

5 Likes

No, I do understand your opinion and respect your choice to assign them whatever value you wish. I’m not sure what you want by bringing up that fact though? As others use them, I’m certainly not going to remove them, as they have every right to choose to use them as well. Some users did ask me to remove the badge - would you like it removed as well?

Fair enough, and I did ask for suggestions but didn’t get any, so I chose Sci-Fi related titles. Just abaout every sci-fi show there is uses military titles, and the one I chose is specifically focused on exploration and peace, so clearly they mean different things to different people (I’m also not American, which may also play a role). Sci fi is a big part of what’s covered on Boing Boing, which is part of why I chose them.

Same issue applies now, though - people are using them, I’m not going to remove choice from the users who have chosen to use them. You may additionally choose not to use them. :slight_smile:

“it’s an imperfect universe.” --G’Kar, Babylon 5, Convictions

3 Likes

So… not actually “irrevocable” as such? :wink:

Look, I don’t want to give you or anyone any more shit about this. Do what you must. Have as much fun as you can. Keep earning that paycheck (whatever it is, it ain’t enough). I’m gonna shaddap.

6 Likes

they really are not the first three, they are very much tongue in cheek that last one.

1 Like

Trek was quasi-military. They used military titles and ranks and the concomitant social hierarchy and while the fictional characters in the Trek universe may have grown up in a truly equal society where those sorts of titles can be worn casually, it is my belief that we cannot. Titles such as these wear heavy in our world and imply a ranking of people that is antithetical to what i understand to be the purpose of this blog and this bbs.

1 Like

I don’t think that implication is the responsibility of our hosts. I think it’s about as innocuous as red orange yellow green, which would likely annoy someone too. It’s not like a 3 can order a 2 around. Besides, who wants to be an Alpha, they work so hard. I am so much happier as a Beta.

If it were military the captain would have lost his job the first time the boat got scratched. Star Trek was a comedic space opera. Camp.

4 Likes

If we’re going to have a metaphor of achievement, they should be based on something other than a calendar date.

Maybe total likes, or total posts read, or something.

As it is, when I see somebody labeled “Lieutenant Commander,” all I know about them is they had a working email account three years ago.

4 Likes

Huh. That seems a lot like what @codinghorror built into discourse. A rather crude metric, but possibly more meaningful than “how old is your account?”.

6 Likes

Conveniently, we now have both algorithmic and age-based titles.

I believe users who have spent years with us deserve recognition. As to whether or not individual users wish to display that recognition is up to them.

3 Likes

I’m not really all that concerned with titles, but I thank you for the effort.

7 Likes

True that. It’s a meaningless title that reflects something that used to have meaning.

It wasn’t about being separate or distinguished for me, but more about having had gone through the paces. I’d put some quality time in, so I got to contribute to the community rather than just visit here.

I was one of them. I didn’t feel like I had anything to prove, but enjoyed being a Regular nonetheless.

Exactly this!

5 Likes

A significant proportion of those who’ve spent “years” are actually neofascists who set up a few hundred sleeper accounts at the peak of GG. Quite a lot of the right-wing trollies we get are using three-year-old previously-dormant accounts.

11 Likes

Yep. And nobody here should outrank anyone else simply for having signed up a year earlier.

Not only do they separate us, they separate us based on an arbitrary criterion and then rank us. I never felt like Regular was a rank, but more like a status or a privilege. It’s a state we could get to for contributing consistently, and there were privileges associated with it, but we could also lose that status.

I don’t necessarily agree. I don’t think someone who signed up a year before me should outrank me, especially if they were dormant that whole time. If they spent that year antagonizing people, that deserves… something… but let’s not pretend they are being constructive when they weren’t.

5 Likes

Now now, it’s just a little difference of opinion. I think I deserve to exist, they don’t think I do. Let’s just agree to disagree.

8 Likes

Sigh… one last li’l thing:

Might wanna have someone get around to fixing that, one of these days.

13 Likes

I can’t imagine I’d even be allowed to swab the deck much less keep the rank of Lieutenant Commander…

Popularity or attention without participation?

I feel the need to repeat this. It sounds to me way more important than the discussion about badges.

7 Likes