Hidden "anti-crime" mics are proliferating on US public transit, recording riders' conversations

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Hah! And you people laughed at me for talking dirty to the subway!

...while in Oakland, the cops hid mics around bus-shelters near the courthouses to capture audio of defendants and their lawyers discussing their cases.
"Son, see those faces? Remember those faces." "Are they assholes, papa?" "Yes, son, they are assholes."
11 Likes

New Jersey public transit

Thatā€™s a scary thought in itself, really.

4 Likes

As of this date, ā€œThe Star-Spangled Bannerā€ has been officially replaced as Americaā€™s national anthem by the song ā€œEvery Breath You Takeā€, written ā€“ appropriately enough ā€“ by The Police.

"Every breath you take and every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take, Iā€™ll be watching you
Every single day and every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay, Iā€™ll be watching you."

21 Likes

Plus you can search that stuff now, or have it flag itself under certain circumstances. Itā€™s not just piles of unheard audio.

3 Likes

Great way to encourage the use of public transportation. Iā€™ll drive, thanks.

2 Likes

It was at a bus stop that I got some advice on where to buy drugs (two blocks over) and how to buy drugs. I was told that if I offered an exorbitant amount theyā€™d know I was an undercover cop. I should say ā€œTen bucks for a bag,ā€ and stand firm.

Free advice to any law enforcement listening in here.

5 Likes

Well, if this is all about putting microphones in government owned areas where crime is likely to happen, then microphones should be put in all elected officials officesā€¦ That might actually yield some results we can use.

14 Likes

Shouldnā€™t they be hiding mics in Banks?

7 Likes
4 Likes

Well, the conclusion was that that was an rfid tag that fell off of a freight container.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, they are looking at you too.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what ā€˜theyā€™ say

2 Likes

Surveillance Camera Theater can now do talkies and Audio Plays!!!
http://www.notbored.org/the-scp.html

Not sure how the copyright apples though, what with recording and sharing copies of performances.

1 Like

You can leave you phone at home if you prefer. It wonā€™t kill you to miss a few tweets.

transit officials may argue that posting notice that audio surveillance is in use means that anyone who rides those vehicles has consented

Yeah sure. Anyone who doesnā€™t consent can simply find an alternative means of transport other than public transport.

Demanding consent to onerous surveillance in order to use public infrastructure sounds totally fine to me, I canā€™t see that going wrong ever.

7 Likes

We have always been at war with EastAsia.

5 Likes

I think you mean:

6 Likes

Oh. Am I one of ā€œthemā€ now?

A disturbing notion of consent is intrinsic to this move.

Letting me know (via notice) that something will happen doesnā€™t obtain my consent. Waiting for a human on the phone and hear ā€œthis call will be recorded for quality and training purposesā€ - do you consent? Either you stay on the line and ā€œconsentā€, or you canā€™t speak with a representative.

This seems eerily close to the ā€œif you donā€™t like rape, why did you go out after darkā€ line of reasoning.

People who use transit often donā€™t have other (reasonable) options available, so this is completely non-consentual.

8 Likes