"Hide the Pain Harold" describes what it is like to become a famous meme

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/08/hide-the-pain-harold-descr.html

8 Likes

Thankfully the meme itself is relatively wholesome, other people ended up being used in memes that were less desirable to be associated with so there’s not much taking ownership of it beyond just having some sense of humor about it. I’m glad that he had the good foresight to get ahead of things and participate, him turning into a meme wasn’t planned but i’m happy to find out that its changed his life for the better.

15 Likes

I’m so glad he’s old enough to have a good sense of perspective about it, and grounded enough in other areas of his life that he can think of this meme business is just an opportunity to be playful and do a bit of good where he can.

14 Likes

Grumpy Cat got screwed. This guy rakes it in; she was overworked, stressed out and died young.

3 Likes

Actually a heart warming story. I look forward to the inevitable fall from grace though. The behind the scenes look once he gets caught up with coke and hookers.

3 Likes

i’m on the internet all the time, i have a pulse, and somehow this is the first i’ve heard of this meme. i’m thinking it’s not entirely a bad thing.

12 Likes

[Checks pulse] Huh, well I’ll be damned.

11 Likes

Me three. Not crushed by FOMO, either.

5 Likes

awww do i have to go look this up now? i have a lot of important boomer things to do.

4 Likes

I mean, Millennial hopes and dreams aren’t just going to get crushed on their own, after all…

2 Likes

That Boomer is pretty OK.

5 Likes

Previously:

…but underneath it all… despite claiming to be a happy person… he harbors a soul-crushing, nightmare-fueled urge to throw himself into the abyss.

2 Likes

Clearly, there are still a few people who don’t waste their lives on 4chan, Reddit or Twitter. Bravo, may we enjoy a happy life. I hate those places, too. I’d rather be ignorant than awash in stupidity.

2 Likes

I have heard of this meme, but it’s not exactly one of my favorites. It falls a little flat.

Don’t we all?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.