High-end restaurants are now serving butter as a dish all on its own

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/22/high-end-restaurants-are-now-serving-butter-as-a-dish-all-on-its-own.html

6 Likes

This sounds like fancy butter served with bread vehicles. Not all that odd, though I’m not sure I’d pay that much even for really special butter. It seems like butter is one of those foods that has a small difference between medium high end and super high end.

I would totally eat the super expensive butter if someone else bought it :joy:

25 Likes

I mean…title is a bit misleading. They give you stuff to put the butter on, you don’t just eat it with a spoon.
It’s like saying restaurants “now serve hummus all on its own!”

ETA @Kii

Jimmy Fallon Twins GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

24 Likes

I will never understand smearing things on a board and serving it.

I really don’t miss eating in restaurants.

7 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

9 Likes

to be fair, really good butter is something i could eat with a spoon, so…

14 Likes

So your restaurant is serving Plugra butter-that’s about 4$/pound wholesale. This is a tidy little profit booster, even if your garnishes add another 3$ or so to the cost of the serving. And your guests get to feel all trendy and exclusive, like they must be even more special because they can tell the special butter from the regular butter. To be fair, butters do have different characteristics and some people can easily differentiate them. Same as with chocolates. A blind taste test would be interesting. Plain, spread on a cracker, spread on toast, baked in a plain cookie. Probably someone on the inter webs already has a cute little chart up somewhere already.

8 Likes

My grand-toddler agrees: She thinks toast is the utensil used to deliver butter.

15 Likes

your grand-toddler and me would get along famously in that regard, lol

12 Likes

And a cause of resentment in northern Europe. The Pope would casually ban luxury items to be avoided for Lent, and butter was often on the list. This was no big deal for southern Europeans, for whom olive oil was the primary fat source. For northerners, however, butter was the main fat they had left at the end of the winter, and being denied it was a real hardship.

18 Likes

You’re saying the Catholics casually constrained casein consumption?

22 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how this fits in with the avocado toast is a dangerous luxury narrative.

13 Likes
12 Likes

the menu was not a manual, idiots.

10 Likes

Constantly, cruelly, and ex cathedra.

10 Likes

But who better to ban butter? The Buddhists? Baptists?

10 Likes

When I was in primary school, my teacher told us (my whole class) that if ever we enountered someone who had taken poison, feeding them butter would cause them to throw up the poison and save their life.

As an adult I witnessed a child joyfully eating butter with a spoon and realised that nothing about this is true and it’s just another flat-out wrong thing I was told as a kid.

(Where’s @Mindysan33’s puke emoji?)

14 Likes

You rang!
jeff goldblum attention GIF

13 Likes

One of my daughters did a blind butter tasting in high school (so, maybe 10 years ago now). She got 100% right, which proves that every butter has its own recognizable flavor.

18 Likes

That´s why the Devil tempted that poor girl with butter in the VVitch movie.

10 Likes