High-flying LA attorneys' toxic emails revealed

Originally published at: High-flying LA attorneys' toxic emails revealed | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Damn, you would think a couple of LA attorneys would realize the internet never forgets. :man_shrugging:

20 Likes

Reminds me of the old joke:
Q: How does every racist joke start?
A: (look over both shoulders) Wanna hear a joke?

I wonder what kind of drama happened that somebody who was copied in these emails decided to make them public? Because 10 years is a LONG time to sit on them.

20 Likes

Wait a minute - high powered lawyers? Amoral liars and swine? It just doesn’t seem possible!

11 Likes

this locker room talk was a way of blowing off steam. It in no way represents our values of fairness and equity for all.

Gimme a fucking break.

17 Likes

Sadly, this news will probably prompt inquiries from MAGAts across the board, looking to sue some woke companies for selling clothing, or defend themselves against hate crime charges.

So if someone enters a courtroom accompanied by this firm, you already know who’s in the wrong.

10 Likes

They always use the “locker room talk” excuse but I don’t remember every saying or hearing anything even close to that in any locker room I’ve ever been in.

23 Likes

You would think they’d know better than to put vile stuff like this in writing. That tells me that the legal skills of this matched pair of turds are the same as their attitudes toward anyone who isn’t a wealthy white male.

13 Likes

13 Likes

I predict that they’re going to spend a lot more time in court going forward.

12 Likes

I’ve been going to the gym 5 days a week for 25 years and have never heard anything like this. These guys need to find a better class of locker rooms. (Or a better lie.)

16 Likes

Let’s go with what Dick the Butcher in Act IV, Scene II of William Shakespeare’s Henry VI, Part II said

5 Likes

A: “Wait, are you telling me a group of people collectively known as “bris bois” are anti-semites?
B: “For the last time, it’s Lewis Brisbois.

7 Likes

I know, right? People who get caught in these things always use the “everyone does it” excuse, but I literally don’t know anyone who talks like this (or if they do, they don’t do it in front of me).

13 Likes

12 Likes

They left their old firm to start a new one and took a bunch of employees with them. Law firms can’t have noncompete restrictions, but aren’t prohibited from reading the departed lawyers’ email archives. The Post article includes the following statement from the old firm:

“Following their departure from our firm, a complaint was lodged against John Barber and Jeff Ranen to a member of our management committee. In keeping with our firm’s policies and our responsibility to our personnel, an investigation was undertaken and the firm was shocked to find dozens of emails between John Barber and Jeff Ranen containing highly inappropriate and offensive content."

12 Likes

this locker room talk was a way of blowing off steam. It in no way represents our values of fairness and equity for all.

Followed quickly by the classic “This isn’t who we are…”

8 Likes

Damn it, I came here to make a “bris bois” joke!

Exactly. How you talk when you think no one is listening is a much better indicator of “who you are” than anything you might say in public (often after filtering it through an expensive PR firm).

9 Likes

He and Barber could always go with the classic excuse: “We were under tremendous stress while fighting on behalf of our downtrodden clients, and this locker room talk was a way of blowing off steam. It in no way represents our values of fairness and equity for all.”

There’s enough stuff they actually said to complain about.

1 Like