High-heeled shoes for your baby

I think too that many people don’t see it as sexualization. If they did I would think they wouldn’t do it. Like perhaps they don’t see kids that way at all, so adding some blush and a fancy costume doesn’t really seem as sexulalizing them. Like if you took a chair and drew boobs on it, it doesn’t make it a sexual object. (Though I am sure somewhere some one wants to do a chair. And of course there are people who see children as sexual object but thankfully they are a small minority.)

I have never asked my ex, but I assumed her “tastes” had to do with “modesty”. And when it comes to dressing my kid, I lean that way too. Though I have disagreed about things like shorts for volleyball that I thought were fine and she found too short (though the same length as other playing.)

1 Like

GIRLS! You don’t need heels to look sexy.

1 Like

All shoes are bad for children’s feet. Even when they start to walk they should go barefoot as much as possible. Not just my opinion, that’s a quote from Hugh Jolly, the great paediatrician.

6 Likes

Stay classy Long Island.

3 Likes

I think there’s some truth to that. But these appear to not be actual shoes, they are only a warm cosmetic covering like socks or booties.

But isn’t anything a baby wears going to be “for show”? There are booties which look like fuzzy sneakers, boots, moccasins, etc. How are some which resemble court pumps any less dignified?

People seem to be making clear that they have a lot of baggage about this, but not really talking about the details of why they signify them they way they do. I see them as frivolous, but not horrific. Maybe I just resent that I was a dressed as a frumpy baby in my time.

I did not just see that. Nope it’s not happening. (Fingers in ears… ‘La la la la!!!’)

2 Likes

Yeah, looks to me like something that people would put on a baby once to take some funny photos and then throw away. Like pet costumes. I doubt many people are buying these thinking that they would be good for their toddlers to wear while they learn how to walk.

Straying off topic, but those are flat-soled work boots or combat boots. They do not have a wedge heel.

1 Like

I have had people telling me off elsewhere because my nick turns out to be the name of a character in some game I have never heard of. It never seems to occur to them that that name, too, might be borrowed.
Nowadays it’s extremely unwise to rely on things like image searches or random websites to give reliable information about anything.

1 Like

I detest pet costumes. A dog is a dog, and it worries me that people who treat them as some kind of doll may not be giving them proper care - plenty of fresh air, exercise, and responding properly to signalling.
Dog fur is designed to lose heat (the mechanism is a bit different from human perspiration) so putting clothes on dogs in a warm environment is not a good idea.

6 Likes

2 times as creepy as toddlers and tiaras and just as indefensible.
I wonder if purchasing these gets you automatically added as a guest on a sex offender registry?

4 Likes

Agreed. I seriously want some brain bleach

You could do that. But I would be more interested in what is sexual about plantarflexion, and how this might be specific to women.

1 Like

It’s OK, I already know how to do passive aggression for myself, thanks.

I am not interested in anime; I was just making a general point about not making assumptions about people based on things as unreliable as names and avatars. Ex pede Herculem may work for biology (though not always), but the human-generated world of ideas isn’t subject to scientific rigor.

Agreed. My name is not Lamar and I do not self identify as a llama.

6 Likes

We have a little pair of slippers our pre-crawl daughter wears sometimes. Not for very long, just to get her used to having stuff on her feet.

Bare toes are cute and enable singing the this-little-piggy song.

Those shoes are hideous.

5 Likes

Read this, it gives a good analysis: Why High Heels Make Women More Attractive | Psychology Today

Here is a key bit of that article: “The biomechanical results are also consistent with the theory that wearing high heels makes women look more attractive by making them more feminine, as the effect of heels was to exaggerate some sex-specific elements of female gait including: greater pelvic rotation, increased vertical motion at the hip, shorter strides and higher number of steps per minute.”

6 Likes

world shattered

7 Likes

If baby’s going to make the basketball team baby needs to get used to heels.

1 Like

So wrong for so many reasons.

2 Likes