High school calls teen's innocent rainbow Big Gay Ice Cream t-shirt 'inappropriate'

8 Likes

Oh, Poop? I didn’t see that.

Maybe we do really need @Jo_Fairley to explain how it’s an euphemism…

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if these accounts like yours that pop up, make a single bigoted comment and vanish are just fakes that someone sets up to give people an easy target to tear apart. It’s not so much that I find it impossible to believe someone really has these views, just… are you even trying? Your argument, if you can even call it that, is so shallow, stereotypical and lazy it makes me wonder why a real person would bother.

EDIT: Well, I was wrong about the “hit and run” style of commenting at least. Arguments aren’t getting any less lazy and laughable, though.

9 Likes

I’m actually fine with this. Maybe because when I was in school, uniforms were a thing, but no, wearing a T-shirt that speaks of sexuality doesn’t seem appropriate in a school. Good call, teachers.

Big Straight Ice Cream, or Big GBLTQetc Ice Cream, or Big Asexual Icecream wouldn’t be any better. Nor any shirt which speaks on any other divisive issue, such as political affiliation, gang membership, gun rights, sports affiliation, abortion, anything at all from tshirthell.com, etc.

Part of the purpose of school is to teach kids what’s socially acceptable in what settings. School is a formal setting, akin to a job, and if this isn’t acceptable at work, then it’s not acceptable at school.

No, you don’t get free speech rights from your parents, carer, teacher, or boss. Yes, there’s some crossover with government; no, this isn’t one of them. Teachers get pretty much total rights over you and your property while you’re at school, just as your parents do. Welcome to being a kid. We all went through it, suck it up.

1 Like

That’s not actually true. Students aren’t stripped of their 1st amendment rights in school settings. If they were then it wouldn’t be very illegal to compel them to participate in school prayers, it wouldn’t be illegal to forbid them from reading religious material during their lunch period and non-instructional time.

So, students do have 1st ammendment rights. And teaching them that they don’t as kids teaches them to accept abuse and hinders their ability to be self-determined.

Also this is horseshit:

Teenagers talk about sex in school all the damn time, there’s even sex ed class. Restricting their speech in this way amounts to fascism. Especially because often in high schools straight couples aren’t ever hassled by administration for “reasonable public displays of affection” while gay couples (at least when I was in high school) were often broken up and forced to move along by administration.

If straight kids are allowed to express their straightness (which they do all the time in myriad ways without you noticing because of the heteronormative culture), then it’s unfair and honestly disgustingly hypocritical to restrict the same sentiment for non-straight people.

I hope you really appreciate your double standard, because it stinks like a pile of manure to me.

ETA:

What a depressingly defeatist, authoritarian and absolutist statement. People have done lots of things “because that’s how it’s always been”, that are wrong, stupid, evil, harmful or just silly, but we’ve managed to figure out that it wasn’t the right thing to do. Just because kids are in a shit situation doesn’t mean it’s right, or it should be that way.

What if Martin Luther King had that attitude about segregation and racial equality? What hopeless and awful idea to advocate.

12 Likes

What if the person who owned the business was named “Gay” and they were a bit on the corpulent side?

9 Likes

Well that didn’t take long did it, somehow, I knew there’d be a butt joke in response.

What sort of ‘Christians’ are you talking about ? Lie ? Really, they are commanded not to. Slander ? Again commanded not to. Conflate gay people with nazis and WMD - LOL - every Gay protest I’ve seen is quick to label everyone else a Nazi (pot, kettle, black with that one I’m afriad). What !? Blow up planned parent hood clinics ? Is that not murder ? Again a Christian is forbidden to do such things. You clearly do not understand what a true Christain is, all the above comments, regarding women, acts of violence and so on, is not Christian behaviour. If they don’t follow the teachings, they are not Christians - so find a different label and don’t slander.

Sounds like the Coca Cola advert from the 1970s - nice picture you painted but not true in the slightest.
We are all people, it is just a question of morals. Some people just wish to push morality back to Pagan times.

Well, there wouldn’t be a problem if it was called “Big Rainbow Ice Cream”. It gets the message across who its for, but “Gay” and having “Big” preceding it would be similar to, say, a Mr John Ballcock, selling his ice cream with the slogan “Big Ballcock Ice Cream” - legitimate (as its his name) but not appropriate.

14 Likes

That’s a No True Scotsman if I’ve ever heard one. The only criteria for a christian is that the person calls themselves that. You’re trying to exclude the extremists when the only criteria, according to the new testament, for being a “True Christian” is belief in the trinity and the resurrection of jesus. Anything beyond that is nit-picking and handwaving excuses to try and disenfranchise the True Christians who do evil in the name of your evil concept of god.

Just count up the number of innocent and righteous people killed by your god in the bible. It far outnumbers the people who satan killed. If you’re going to judge, then satan actually is far more merciful and is better for humanity than the god you worship anyway. I wouldn’t worship your schizophrenic abusive god even if he were proven to exist, because he is evil.

Some people just wish to push morality back to Pagan times.
And some people are trying to push morality back to the times of nearly completely illiterate bronze-age savages.

What is it with christians thinking they have some kind of claim to inventing morality and ethics?

If you think about it, taking orders regarding morality from an invisible god nobody else can see, or failing that authority figures with some kind of “revealed knowledge” is the most intellectually and morally lazy reasoning a human can choose.

I’d rather decide for myself how to act morally, taking into account the harm I cause to people, rather than the anger I engender in an imaginary and untestable deity who gives me no reason to even believe exists.

14 Likes

Someone’s surname isn’t appropriate? Tell that to Ballzac.

Fuck your censorship. It’s far more obscene than any words I can say.

6 Likes

It sounds like a coca-cola ad because “True Gay People” aren’t out killing in the name of equal rights. While “True christians” have racked up an obscenely large deathtoll in self-professed service to their god.

You can try to disown as much as you like, but the truth is, the bible says that many classes of people are to be killed for victimless crimes, and if the bible didn’t exist then those people wouldn’t have had an excuse for their heinous and horrific acts of violence.

8 Likes

What he wrote on the placard covering all the gay is good!

I would have gone with “Warning: This shirt offends repressed homosexuals and your standard ignorant homophobic bigots (who may also be repressed homosexuals). STAND BACK!!!1111”

2 Likes

When were the “Pagan times”? Is that when the majority of people on earth weren’t Christian?

11 Likes

Yet they still do…

1 Like

Aside from LDoBe’s excellent rebuttal to you, I wanted to raise another point: How about Big Joy Ice Cream, Big Fun Ice Cream, or Big Happy Ice Cream? Those too offensive to you? Gay still has two valid meanings, and I don’t see any reason to assume the sexual one, especially when one is talking about friggin’ ICE CREAM. Yes, it has a rainbow on it. Which is also a symbol commonly associated with happy, carefree things as well as homosexuals. It’s bad enough that the mere mention of homosexuality is offensive to you, but you’re deliberately CHOOSING to be offended when you could just as easily take it as the other, completely non-sexual meaning.

4 Likes

Honestly not surprised - I can see this as the result of some administrator A) not knowing that Big Gay Ice Cream is a real business and B) having the permanent mindset that teenage boys just sit around calling each other gay on XBox Live in their free time and assuming that it was meant to be offensive.

2 Likes

Aside from Christian religious organizations, of course.

Well, at least there you’re acknowledging that, at least in what you’ve seen, the name-calling isn’t limited to one side. If these were “protests” you attended, though, then, yes, LGBTQI people and their allies were drawing attention to an injustice, and some may have gotten hyperbolic. Then again you’re very vague about what the protest was about, and a comparison to Nazis may have been appropriate.

Try attending a Pride celebration this summer, though, and you’ll find that the insults and protests come from groups of Christians. They don’t represent all Christians, but Christians are a diverse group. Some of them are pretty despicable. Look up the work of Scott Lively, for instance. He’s a Christian. Funny, though, how that whole “commanded not to slander” thing doesn’t apply to Christians like him.

Oh, and welcome to Boing Boing. Stick around. You might learn something.

4 Likes

According to the Bible the t-shirt is inappropriate because the name of the company is inappropriate. If a Christian had a Bible verse you would call that inappropriate. If a Muslim had a t-shirt with a Koran verse on it you would probably have no problem with it, even though they hate gays and want them all dead. Christains simply disagree with the lifestyle and do not want it in their face, their solution is to help gays to come out of that lifestyle. I don’t know why Christians are called tha haters and Muslims get a free pass and are even promoted by the media. Apparently we need to start picking sides because there is no compromise, the expression of one side offends the others. So I am picking sides. I choose Jesus.

Can you please cite the chapter and verse to which you are referring, because I’m having trouble finding it.

11 Likes