High school gives away free belts in the fight against sagging pants

Originally published at: High school gives away free belts in the fight against sagging pants | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I figured this BS would have been gone with Bill Cosby… :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Well, it’s an interesting cultural move. The idea, I guess, is you have to cooperate with your oppressor or you’ll be excluded from the crumbs they’re willing to let you scavenge. It’s not as if that’s wrong, but it is kind of humiliating.

2 Likes

Curious that posted shutterstock example shows sagging pants each with a belt (also sagging?) attached. Perhaps they’d achieve more positive effect if they distributed some nice rainbow suspenders. (yes yes ‘suspenders’ means something sexy in British terms, so braces unto them)

5 Likes

Belts not books campaign takes it up another notch.

3 Likes

My son was into this about 10-ish years ago when he started high school. The belt was worn to keep the pants tightly on your thighs so they didn’t outright fall off - think like a mermaid skirt.

Back then, I remember one school went the route of zip-tying the pants up for people who ‘sagged’. I thought it was brilliant.

3 Likes

Fashion comes and goes.

3 Likes

It would be fun to see saggy pants fashion victims compete in track events.

3 Likes

If you want respect, you must first respect yourself. With your pants sagging, it shows a negative attitude towards you

I don’t like the look but this statement is just completely uninformed psychobabble.

15 Likes

Actually, it is wrong. Few Kapos survived the camps. Perpetuating oppression only leads to greater forms of oppression.

6 Likes

We all know that good old boys wear their pants halfway up their stomach.

3 Likes

It was the 60s that I got in trouble for wearing my shirt untucked at school. Later on I could grow facial hair and they sent me home when my sideburns went below my ears or I showed up with a mustache. I now have a full beard, but you know what? I turned out okay. Had good jobs, raised a family and now retired and still doing good. Sometimes I still wear my shirt untucked.

10 Likes

He doesn’t even realize he is talking about himself, his own biasses and misplaced priorities being thrust onto others.

3 Likes

Previously:

Alas, links have rotted.

1 Like

From the article:

The sagging pants fashion trend has created controversy in recent years, with state Sen. Eric Adams (D-Brooklyn) putting up billboards blasting the trend and several communities in the South outlawing drooping pants.

Aaaaand now that asshole is the mayor.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Has anything ever been established to actually be problematic with sagging pants? Because no one ever offers any reason why it’s an issue beyond the fact that they don’t like it. As usual, racism goes unexamined.

10 Likes

Thank you! I was shocked to get 17 posts into this thread before someone called out that the “war on sagging pants” has been racist from the start, and still is. No doubt it grinds the gears of the old men at these schools that the white kids now do it too because the Black kids made it cool, but fuck ‘em. Sag on, if you like it, kids.

9 Likes
5 Likes

How have saggy pants of all things never gone out of “style” for 30 years? Seemed like the kind of thing that would be over in a year but nooooo