High school moved into empty Macy's department store

Originally published at: High school moved into empty Macy's department store | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“Good place to get some thinking done.”

TH

8 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBid0B_BRIo

3 Likes

Don’t forget your PPE, kids!

7 Likes

The space works surprisingly well for its new purpose. The missing elements would be windows/natural light, more restrooms (department stores were stingy with them), and gymnasium/sports spaces.

12 Likes

Do I get bonus points on my test for wearing Levi jeans?

The new high school I attended was experimenting with a semi-open floor plan, but I’m guessing it didn’t work well for the administration. When I took a tour of the building at our 20th reunion, they’d walled up all the open passages.

I think this is much better than what the architect of my high school had in mind.

Bonus: Do you think there will be a disinfectant “sprayer” at the entrance?

perfume smell GIF by 1091

7 Likes

Might turn into a turf war.

5 Likes

I walk by almost every day. They did a really nice job on getting the building retrofitted in a short period of time. The Macy’s building had originally been targeted for demolition after they left town a number of years ago.

If only the City could do something about “The Pit” next door.

6 Likes

Lot of open space, so hopefully that may lessen the chance of transmission. Feels like a very chipper post-apocalyptic piece.

I have been to that Macy’s. It looks the same shut down as it did when it was open.

So, pretty much everything.

1 Like

It’s really difficult for teachers who like their kids noisy. I liked noisy student collaboration when I was teaching, but it really annoyed the soon-to-be-retired teacher across the hall. I looked at that video and immediately wondered about the noise levels with the partitions. Perhaps keeping students masked and six feet apart will dampen any extraneous noise.

6 Likes

Is this a temporary solution while they work on remediating the old building / building a new building, or is this a persistent new school building?

I mean, if this is a 2 year or a 5 year solution, it looks really good.

If the student’s grandchildren are going to be graduating from the mall… that could be a bit uncomfy…

No this is how you upcycle!

1 Like

I have a feeling that changing rooms will get a workout.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.