High tech lock is "invincible to people who do not have a screwdriver"

What was the reason they gave before the app?

Part of the reason that this is significant is the ability to put it back together after, as if it had never been opened:

4 Likes

invincible to the people who do not have a screwdriver

…and possibly to the people who have too many screwdrivers :wink:

:tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink:

6 Likes

They can’t remember a time where there were no apps.

3 Likes

Sure. But there was a time before apps, and screwdrivers still posed an insurmountable obstacle to a set of those other people in that other time, in a situation otherwise analogous to your situation. And I wonder what the reason that analagous subset of people gave, in the analogous situation, in the time before they could be heard to blame an app, because that was slang for appetizer then - and had nothing to do with handheld devices.

Properly installed padlock hasps conceal all the mounting screws when the hasp is closed over the staple.

11 Likes

They would have to be careful not to leave fingerprints.

3 Likes

Indeed. Though I have a lockable bolt/hasp affair on a shed where the screws are exposed, but where two of the ‘screws’ on each element came as rivets (the bolt was pre-installed on the shed). The rest of the real screws have been rounded out by me because if they were removed the two rivets would offer less/little resistance to wrenching the thing off.
(And I was thinking more of gate bolts, to be honest. Should have been more specific.)

That’s it! Quantum teleportation locks! The locks (and the things they secure) move around periodically so you can’t come back with the right cracking equipment to the same place!

3 Likes

C’mon fingerprint security is so much better than that twiddling dial!

So maybe we need to redesign locks to be aggressively anti-lock pick/break/cut/etc. Kind of like D&D locks: ‘you approach the ransacked locker room of the ‘Fitness Center’ (whatever that is) and there is still one lock intact! It’s enormous container hasn’t been ransacked of all its nano-goodness. You immediately get to cover behind the piles of bones and rusty equipment that encircle the lock in shoulder high drifts. By the looks of it the intel team comes back with an ID of a Musk 2077 model. Fully autonomous and nasty, with a flair for improvising and cruel humor. While the sappers engage their reflective and reactive armor tumbrils, the clones and mercs set up projectile and energy heavy weapons. The lock sensed us just outside it’s kill zone and began broadcasting warnings. All eyes and vision systems locked on me as I tried to guess what sort of nastiness was coming our way.’

Oh wait, all you need is a $4 torx set? Well, blimey we’re stumped then, eh.

6 Likes

you just need to have an external battery connection, you’ll find soemtehing similar on every electronic safe.

“Invincible to anyone who doesn’t try to open it”

Also you can open this up and put it back together and no one would ever know it was compromised, unlike if you cut it.

Except a flat-head also apparently works on it. The kind one might have in a keychain tool. Or improvise out of some narrow, flat piece of metal.

This isn’t just useless, it’s worse than useless.

Yeah, even with the language barrier, it’s one of those “surely no one would actually say this” situations. And it’s worse than that, because technically they don’t even need a screwdriver.

3 Likes

If only @beschizza had a screwdriver.

13 Likes

Not to mention the $39.99 cordless angle grinder at Harbor Freight.

1 Like

7 Likes

In most datacenters, we use a combination lock with a built in mini-generator: you spin the dial until the LED comes on showing it has enough charge, then dial the combination. No batteries, no fuss, and it only takes a couple of spins for a charge that’ll last a couple of openings.

12 Likes

Just read the detailed exposition at El Reg, as per your link. Worth reading, everyone, as it details two electronic fails (assorted bluetooth jiggerypokery) and one physical (the screws) and further notes that being made of aluminium it is hardly likely to offer much resistance to any reasonable force (alumimium resists boltcutters like butter does).
It could hardly be much worse. Utter fail.

(Edited to clarify that the one with screws on the outside is a knock-off of Tapplock, which is the subject of the El Reg review, which itself reads like a litany of fail as summrised above. Should have read all of page 2 of that article before composing here.)

4 Likes

If only they’d used Robertson instead of torx, then it’d be uncrackable to the majority of Americans. :yum:

8 Likes

… or the ‘Arthur’ screw.

2 Likes

I hear those screwdrivers are going to cost a lot more now. Maybe I will pick up a few when I go to the Iran-Turkey world cup game in 2026. Most likely that game will be in Canada.