High tech lock is "invincible to people who do not have a screwdriver"

The quality of the locks’ security and the quality of the maker’s response to said security appear to be inexorably locked together in perfect sync.

3 Likes

Fools! The entire time you’ve been discussing this, somebody’s unscrewed the lock and made off with the crown jewels!

6 Likes

But doesn’t BoingBoing generally complain that phones and other electronic gadgets often make getting in the case hard? This electronic lock is Maker friendly!

10 Likes

Not very reliable under field conditions; but the learned helplessness conditional access module is great for keeping your skinner boxes secure! After a fairly short time you can eliminate the expense of real locks by just attaching photos of locks, which is an added bonus.

The true apex of this approach to lock design would be locks that manipulate the volition of the attacker; rather than crudely attempting to resist it. If a parasitoid wasp can do it; surely our not-too-distant futuristic dystopia can also have locks that induce would-be attackers to cease all other behavior in order to focus solely on defending the locked object to the death!

4 Likes

Oh, c’mon! It’s a torx screw. 90% of the population are going to ruin it, trying to open it with an allen wrench. Safe enough.

2 Likes

The ultimate security is no one wanting to open it. I find a sufficient quantity of dog poop usually does the trick.

2 Likes

There’s also probably an enormous amount of computer security that is trivially bypassed by someone with physical access to the computer, I reckon.

That’s the only episode of that show I ever saw.

1 Like

I am speechless at how unfathomably, unfathomably stupid both the company that makes this lock and their marketing team that answered this question are.

They could have laser welded the lock shut after circuitry installed, no screws, not much heat, and it would be a lot safer.

Honestly I am speechless that something this fucking stupid exists. I’m even more speechless that people actually defended their creation of it with such an incredibly stupid answer.

These people made a lock, obviously had the knowledge to machine and design this, but those same people apparently have no conceptual understanding that screwdrivers exist.

I think I have finally found people stupider than Trump and that’s saying something.

1 Like

I wouldn’t describe the practice as a ‘nondestructive’ method; but you can usually find a phillips driver sized correctly to induce a robertson head to move.If more out of fear than respect; but still.

4 Likes

That works really well on political lawn signs too. Along with grease.

I guess really anything covered with feces is not something people would want to touch so that’s probably a universal, if not somewhat confusing, deterrent.

1 Like

Here’s the video of LPL bypassing this turkey.

1 Like

And they will be right, most of the time. The harsh reality is that against a professional thief you will be robbed. Most thieves are just looking for some quick cash, and things as simple as a ‘Beware of Dog’ sign are enough to deter them.

I hope that’s sarcasm :stuck_out_tongue:

Because difficulty to access for actual locks and for genereral consumer systems could hardly be more different in importance :stuck_out_tongue:

Though it is quite ironic that locks demanding extreme difficulty to unlock frequently suffer from hilariously bad flaws rendering the security near useless, whilst consumer devices that’d benefit from openess get locked-down to the extreme…

4 Likes

And now it finally paid off!

1 Like

This looks like a lock made by electronics people. At the least the screw could be in a place only accessible when the lock is open.

3 Likes

I have this idea for beer steins with the lid on the bottom…

4 Likes

…in a sense having any lock is better than having no lock at all. But than again the same thing could be achieved with an old fashioned lock and no need for this over-engineered thingie.

What they could do is replace the screws with much smaller but similar locks. Do that once and you end up with those torx screws that are so small I’m not even sure they make the bits. Certainly you never find it in your toolkit. Security solved!