'Highly likely' Iran shot down Ukrainian airliner that killed 176 people, U.S. officials say — and probably an accident

Yeah but what do you think about this assumption that the launcher will always be able to hear the squalk from the aircraft?

These systems can hear pings from anything above the horizon. I dont buy that they couldnt receive it. The antennas are directional too, so you have to point the antenna at the object you care about. So I dont buy the argument that a signal may have been to weak to pick up.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Bloody shame.

3 Likes

Note, however, the absence of a “cover up” by the Iranian authorities. Despite the assumptions of many Western commentators.

6 Likes

trump is responsible for all those deaths. Sad thing is, he doesn’t give a fuck.

May he burn in hell.

3 Likes

Wow, transparency and admitting fault. Go figure.

6 Likes

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran announced Saturday that its military “unintentionally” shot down the Ukrainian jetliner that crashed earlier this week, killing all 176 aboard, after the government had repeatedly denied Western accusations that it was responsible.

They lied for days, then finally admitted the truth after they could no longer support the lie.

1 Like
1 Like

I don’t follow. As others noted, they lied about this for days, strongly denying this in no uncertain terms. If not for the growing pile of evidence that’s become publicly available it’s very likely they would still be lying about it.

3 Likes

They spent a few days saying “we’re investigating, but we think it was a tech problem with the plane”. Which was a prudent thing to do, given the tensions of the moment; an immediate declaration that it was an Iranian SAM might have been used as justification for another attack.

As soon as the military tensions eased, they announced the results of the investigation and apologised.

Compare and contrast with the US response after shooting down Iran Air 655.

The USA spent years falsely claiming that the Vincennes was not in Iranian waters, and initially ran through a long list of bullshit excuses (“its IFF said it was a fighter”, “it was coming straight for us”, etc) to justify the attack.

And then there was this…

4 Likes

I read it was shot down by two missiles. The video shows one. I presume he hit the camera after seeing and hearing the first.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I agree that the strategy was more “prudent” than just being honest, or at least saying “the cause of the crash is currently under investigation and results will be made public at the appropriate time.” But even if you agree with their strategy the Iranian government clearly

1. Put out statements that they knew to be false attributing the crash to technical problems with the plane
  2. Worked to ensure that their own population was unable to read any conflicting theories or narratives on the local internet
  3. Demonized news outlets that were accurately reporting independent evidence of the missile, calling them part of a “psychological warfare” campaign against Iran as recently as yesterday.

If you insist those actions don’t count as a “cover up” just because they eventually started telling the truth, that’s fine. I guess we just have different definitions of the term.

By the way, as far as this specific conversation goes the shameful past and current actions of the US government aren’t particularly relevant. Just because the US government, and the Trump administration in particular, engage in frequent lies and cover-ups doesn’t defend the Iranian government from doing the same thing.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.