Highly venomous zebra cobra still on the loose in Raleigh

Originally published at: Highly venomous zebra cobra still on the loose in Raleigh | Boing Boing

5 Likes

200-1 3

5 Likes

Are there any cobras that aren’t highly venomous?

2 Likes

Well. Chances are good (but not 100% given Nimibia’s climate) that if not found, the snake would not last the winter.

1 Like

Brings back memories of the locally famous black mamba of Palo Alto in the early 1990s

1 Like

Back in the 80s, I was the usual teenage assistant staff at a summer camp, and one of the kids brought in a small snake he’d found in his back yard, and somehow gotten into a jar. One of the other counselors put it in an aquarium, labeled it as an eastern rat snake, and fed it crickets and snake chow.

Now I was a boy scout at the time, so when I was asked a few days later to feed the small zoo of captured critters on display I was a bit surprised, and actually got my boy scout handbook out of the car and looked it up. Yep, eastern diamondback rattlesnake, just too young to have rattles and darker than average so its patterns were difficult to make out.

Cue a quick call to animal control by management, a brief evacuation of the building containing the menagerie, and a very amused animal control officer taking away one snake in a small aquarium for a wild release. Officially released, that is, though I suspect it never made it past whatever euthanasia animal control used for unwanted pests, but you can’t tell kids that.

4 Likes

This is what snake shot was made for. Yikes.

I’m skeptical this is what they’re saying it is. You know the old medical saying: when you hear slithering and hoofbeats, think horse cobra, not zebra cobra.

6 Likes

I had no idea Zebra were venomous. I didn’t think grass ever fought back.

5 Likes

Yes, though despite being non-venomous the insurance provider is highly toxic.

2 Likes

Touche’

1 Like

Yeah, as I mentioned before, my brother and I brought a baby cottonmouth back in a bucket to my mom, who wasn’t thrilled to say the least, ignorance truly is bliss sometimes.

I think you’re confusing the zebra cobra with the cobra zebra.

I’m kidding, of course, but now that I’ve actually written the phrase “cobra zebra” I can’t get the idea of a hooded, striped, and venomous horse out of my head. It’s kind of freaking me out.

5 Likes

That or you’ve just called in an airstrike. Either way, good luck.

5 Likes

They aren’t usually aggressive as long as you respect the crossing markers.

2 Likes

How long before this topic overlaps with a 11’8”+8” bridge thread?

4 Likes

How big is this zebra!?

3 Likes

Now that it’s been venomized? It’s swell!

2 Likes

The eggs, on the other hand…

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Highly venomous zebra cobra still on the loose in Raleigh:

That’s adorable.

Love, Australia.